VLF i metal detetor based on teensy audio board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xarin94

Hi everyone, i'm building vlf meta detector with a frequency of 10khz, i want to use the signal generated by the audio board in the tx coil with an amplifier, and the MIC input of the board to analyze the signal in the rx coil.
maybe if necessary I'll put an amplifier between the rx coin and the teensy.
I already have a teensy 4.0 with the board rev.d, I was thinking to use that for this project to take advantage of the many commands for the signal analysis already programmed.
This type of project if feasible with this board or there are simpler and effective ways to achieve this? I'm worried about the rx coil receiving more than 3.6v, so I maybe will use a separate ADC to have a better reading.

I guess that's perfectly possible - you'd need to ensure suitable scaling of the received signal to the right level for best sensitivity without clipping too readily.

Thank you for your answer.
One more thing, if I use the waveform function, with sinusoidal wave what is the maximum frequency? I tried with my oscilloscope but after 22kHz, the wave was pulsing, there are some ways to increment this limit to maybe achieve 40/50kHz? I can create a 60kHz Square wave with a normal pin and the tone function, but the sinusoidal is more suitable for my application,

Since the system samples at 44100Hz, 22kHz is indeed the maximum frequency supported by the Audio library, in its out-of-the-box configuration. Increasing this is possible, there are various threads around about this.

Hi,

Below is part of the code I am using in the batdetector. This allows you to set the sampling frequency a lot higher (we have tested/used this up to 384K).

// https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/6522...z?highlight=set_audioClock(c0,+c1,+c2,+true);
Code:
#include <utility/imxrt_hw.h>
bool setI2S_freq(int freq)
  {
  // PLL between 27*24 = 648MHz und 54*24=1296MHz
  int n1;
  if (freq > 8000)
    {
    n1 = 4; //SAI prescaler 4 => (n1*n2) = multiple of 4  based on Frank Boesings code
    }
  else
    {
    n1 = 8;
    }

int n2 = 1 + (24000000 * 27) / (freq * 256 * n1);

double C = ((double)freq * 256 * n1 * n2) / 24000000;
  int c0 = C;
  int c2 = 10000;
  int c1 = C * c2 - (c0 * c2);
  set_audioClock(c0, c1, c2, true);
  CCM_CS1CDR = (CCM_CS1CDR & ~(CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PRED_MASK | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PODF_MASK)) | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PRED(n1 - 1) // &0x07
    | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PODF(n2 - 1);                                                                                // &0x3f
  return true;
  }

And you can set a sine like this (sine_HT is a AudioSynthWaveformSine)

Code:
void set_freq_Oscillator(int freq)
  {
  // audio lib thinks we are still in 44118sps sample rate therefore we have to scale the frequency of the local oscillator
  // in accordance with the REAL sample rate
  freq_Oscillator = (freq) * (AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / SR_real);

if (freq_Oscillator > 22000)
    {
    freq_Oscillator = 22000;
    osc_frequency = freq_Oscillator * (SR_real / AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT) ;
    }

sine_HT.frequency(freq_Oscillator);

} //

cheers
Cor

Thank you for this overclock, I saw your bat detector during my searches but didn't realize that I can also generate a faster waveform.
One more thing, I have to calculate the out of phase between my Rx coil and Tx coil, maybe will use logic gates, but there is a more effective way to get his information?
I'm waiting for some components to arrive, but if this is a functional project I'll post my code and some more info.
Thanks for the help!

Just feed an attenuated sample of the TX coil to the other channel and you can compare the phases between channels perhaps?

markT, i need to know with some precision the angle of shift, if I can access the real time data of the current amplitude, bot synthetized and received, I can use some iterative math to know the timing of the peak, with this I can identify the phase shift.

CorBee the code you posted(for the sine_ht) has to be put in the library's files? thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

The sine_HT is using a part of the audio library, you only need to declare

AudioSynthWaveformSine sine_HT;

cheers
Cor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back