Teensy 4 USB incompatibilities with Teensy 3 - SEREMU and ep1

In porting a project from Teensy 3.2 to Teensy 4.0 I have come across a couple of small RAWHID incompatibilities.

The first one is that (at least with the Teensyduino 1.55) I can't compile without a SEREMU_INTERFACE.

i.e. something like this in usb_desc.h:

Code:
#if defined(USB_CUSTOMRAWHID)

#define VENDOR_ID         0x16C0
  #define PRODUCT_ID        0x1234

#define RAWHID_USAGE_PAGE 0xFFAB  // recommended: 0xFF00 to 0xFFFF
  #define RAWHID_USAGE      0x0200  // recommended: 0x0100 to 0xFFFF

#define MANUFACTURER_NAME {'a','b','c','d'}
  #define MANUFACTURER_NAME_LEN 4
  #define PRODUCT_NAME      {'a','b','c','d'}
  #define PRODUCT_NAME_LEN  4

#define EP0_SIZE      64
  #define NUM_ENDPOINTS     2

#define NUM_INTERFACE     1

#define RAWHID_INTERFACE      0 
  #define RAWHID_TX_ENDPOINT    2
  #define RAWHID_TX_SIZE        64
  #define RAWHID_TX_INTERVAL    1
  #define RAWHID_RX_ENDPOINT    2
  #define RAWHID_RX_SIZE        64
  #define RAWHID_RX_INTERVAL    1
  #define ENDPOINT2_CONFIG  ENDPOINT_RECEIVE_INTERRUPT + ENDPOINT_TRANSMIT_INTERRUPT

#elif ...

results in the following errors:
Code:
yield.cpp:60:7: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
   if (Serial.available()) serialEvent();
       ^
yield.cpp:60:39: error: 'serialEvent' was not declared in this scope

Applying the following change to yield.cpp:

Code:
#if defined(SEREMU_INTERFACE) || defined(USB_SERIAL) || defined(USB_DUAL_SERIAL) || defined(USB_TRIPLE_SERIAL)
    // USB Serail - Add hack to minimize impact...
    if (yield_active_check_flags & YIELD_CHECK_USB_SERIAL) {
        if (_serialEvent_default) yield_active_check_flags &= ~YIELD_CHECK_USB_SERIAL;
    }
#endif

appears to fix the error, but does leave two warnings.

The other issue is that it seem that with the current Teensy 4 code it's not possible to use end point 1. Given that the hardware
only supports 8 end points and 0 is reserved for the control channel, it seems a pity to waste one.

I made the necessary changes to usb.c to allow for end point 1, i.e. adding
Code:
#if defined(ENDPOINT1_CONFIG)
USB1_ENDPTCTRL1 = ENDPOINT1_CONFIG;
#endif
to endpoint0_setup(), modifying usb_config_rx(), usb_config_tx() etc. to return on ep < 1 rather than ep < 2,
as well as usb_transmit() and usb_receive(), and end point 1 then appeared to be usable.

Is there a reason ep 1 is not available ?

(I note that the USB_EVERYTHING config. uses ep 1 as well as up to ep 15, so would be unlikely to work on a Teensy 4 ?)

(I note that the USB_EVERYTHING config. uses ep 1 as well as up to ep 15, so would be unlikely to work on a Teensy 4 ?)

@Graeme:

I don't know the entire technical reason(s) that endpoint 1 is not to be used, but there's a comment <here> by @Paul Stoffregen on another thread where he indicates that endpoint 1 is reserved for T4.x.

Hope that helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Yes, there is a reason. Endpoint 1 is reserved for a future feature, which I'm not prepared to discuss at this time.

Indeed, the everything option needs far too many endpoints to work on Teensy 4.x, even if endpoint 1 were available.

Yes, there is a reason. Endpoint 1 is reserved for a future feature, which I'm not prepared to discuss at this time.
I guess it doesn't make much difference for HID, but I can imagine attempting to use a Teensy to emulate other non-HID devices where there is no choice but to use ep 1. I guess that's not a common usage though, since it means writing a non-HID USB driver for it.

Thank you for this information, it helped allot!
Seems usb_isr() also needs to be modified to get endpoint 1 to work.

Thank you for this information, it helped allot!
Seems usb_isr() also needs to be modified to get endpoint 1 to work.
Yep - anywhere NUM_ENDPOINTS is used needs examining and possibly modifying.
(Or add a new #define i.e #define FIRST_ENDPOINT 1/2 might be cleaner, with a comment explaining ep 1 is reserved.)

Back