Problem with OctoWS2811 Library and PlatformIO

Aerokeith

As spolsky noted in this thread:
* Note: this version of the library is not available through the arduino or platformio library managers yet. For now get it from GitHub.
By "this version" he's referring to the current version 1.4.

To install this version of the library, I had been using the following hack:
1. Add the following line to the platformio.ini file: lib_deps = paulstoffregen/OctoWS2811 @ ^1.4
2. Add the following line to my program's .h file: #include "OctoWS2811.h"
3. Download the library files and use them to overwrite the .h and .cpp files in the .pio/libdeps/teensy40/OctoWS2811 directory

Although this works, it doesn't seem like a sustainable solution and will surely be a barrier to many potential users. So my first question is: how can this be fixed? Is it something the platformIO people need to address? I think so, but it would help to get a PJRC/Paul nudge.

BUT, this approach has stopped working for my latest project. The difference here is that I'm also using some private libraries that require me to use the PIO lib_extra_dirs = command in the Platformio.ini file to specify the path to find my private directories. As soon as I add that line, I get this error message
Code:
Building in release mode
Archiving .pio/build/teensy40/lib803/libOctoWS2811.a
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/lib5e3/PixelDriver/PixelDriver.cpp.o
Indexing .pio/build/teensy40/lib803/libOctoWS2811.a
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/FrameworkArduino/CrashReport.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/FrameworkArduino/DMAChannel.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/FrameworkArduino/EventResponder.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/teensy40/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial1.cpp.o
src/PixelDriver.cpp:2:24: fatal error: OctoWS2811.h: No such file or directory

Commenting out the lib_extra_deps command results in successful compilation (as long as I don't try to reference the private libraries). The order of the commands in the platformio.ini file doesn't make a difference. I've successfully used lib_extra_deps in other projects in addition to public libraries referenced with lib_deps.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? I'll post this to the platformIO forum also, but I though I'd start here to let y'all know there's a problem with this library.
Thanks!

Note that you can include libraries directly from GitHub as follows:

Code:
[env]
platform = https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy.git
board = teensy40
lib-deps =
   https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/OctoWS2811

Back