Next new Teensy , USB-C Please.

jdredd

My only gripe with my Teensy 4.1 board. Is no USB-C connector.

I am so over micro USB connectors.

I know this will change costs to most likely higher but I myself would love having USB-C style connector. Not like these things are $5000 each.

I feel like these micro usb ports are always on the brink of falling apart.

Doing A project where I need to run it out to the garage and back so having to plug and unplug a lot.

I feel my 4 day old Teensy 4.1 usb port is already loose inside, ala near ruined.

I don't SEE any wiggle to the port itself.

But if I tap it, or breath to hard it looses connection :(

And yes, swapped out cables.

and NO, I don't yank the cable out like A gorilla.

Some extra solder on the thru hole part of the connector helps as well and is likely more than enough, at least for me it was after breaking one before.

Not had any problems here with repeat plug unplug, especially the newer versions that have through hole feet that will be better secured to PCB.

Some extra solder on the thru hole part of the connector helps as well and is likely more than enough, at least for me it was after breaking one before.

+1 to that - have noticed the solder connect may be complete - but not full into the hole. Though I've not added solder fill to any.

USB-C nice not having an UP - and not having that inner connect 'flap' - but I've only broken one of those on another $30 device that was wasted. And USB-C is a deeper connector taking more PCB space. And can provide much more power.

Not had any problems here with repeat plug unplug, especially the newer versions that have through hole feet that will be better secured to PCB.

+1 to that - have noticed the solder connect may be complete - but not full into the hole. Though I've not added solder fill to any.

USB-C nice not having an UP - and not having that inner connect 'flap' - but I've only broken one of those on another $30 device that was wasted. And USB-C is a deeper connector taking more PCB space. And can provide much more power.

I'd gladly take an extra 1/4" longer board for USB C plug on it.

The firmer, nicer plug just so much more desired. Only plus on big Arduinos is having the big USB B plug. Never hurt one of those since 1996 :)

I think can get away with USB-C style plug, without being USB 3.0 driven?

I'd gladly take an extra 1/4" longer board for USB C plug on it.

The firmer, nicer plug just so much more desired. Only plus on big Arduinos is having the big USB B plug. Never hurt one of those since 1996 :)

I think can get away with USB-C style plug, without being USB 3.0 driven?

They make ones specifically for power only or USB 2.0 only so it’s not a requirement. All it takes is 2 resistors for basic usage so nothing overly complicated.

I sort of like the type plugs as well...

But there are always tradeoffs... Like 1/4" longer, or wider or... Well it may not fit into the previous boards I have done. Which may or may not be an issue for you.

Now for totally different new board, that may not be an issue. But if the goal is to be able to drop in new one into places that use the old ones ...

Then there is how much else on the board needs to or should be updated because of the plug. Like:
I think USB-c can go higher voltages... probably don't want this here.
More current, does that imply the fuse needs to change, plus should the VRs change, what about USBHost. Do you still need the Protection chip? or different one for higher currents. Or not at all like Sparkfun Micromod...

Note: I don't think I have busted any of these boards in awhile. Did have some older T3.5/6 where the inside contacts had issues...

But to avoid that I keep a neat tidy area: :p
screenshot.jpg

But the biggest thing is that I avoid unplugging them all of the time, instead I use powered hub with buttons per USB port, that I can turn on and off as needed :D

Right now I have A small MicroUSB to USB C adapter plugged in. PLUS, A USB extension cable with a nice on/off switch.
Working out pretty well.

20211112_195415.jpg

USB-C + NCM support so I can control a GoPro would be great. I would purchase a lot since I would use this in my application.

Back