How to use I2S on a Teensy 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuba0040

Hello,
I would like to use the I2S functionality that the Teensy 4.0 has to communicate with a DAC chip. To do this I've dug up the output_i2s.h file written by Paul Stoffregen. Along with his accompanying forum post I was able to roughly figure out what each part does, and with some slight tweaks managed to get the clocks running and send out data. Slight issue...

The way I am sending data right now is just by shoving it into the I2S1_TDR0 register. This presents some problems. First of all, I have no control over which channel does the data end up in. Also, as you can see in this simple loop (void loop, second code field), if the delayMicroseconds function goes above 5 the data flow stops completely. I know that originally Paul envisioned the DMA to send out audio data in readymade chunks of some set number of samples, however I'd like a more direct approach where the I2S just spits out a sample at the correct channel until a new one has been set. Is this even possible? If so, how do I do all the things mentioned here and how do I do them properly?

Thank You.

Here is Paul's code I commented with the things I figured out, as well as made some minor modifications to fit the I2S data format I want:
Code:
FLASHMEM void set_audioClock(int nfact, int32_t nmult, uint32_t ndiv) // sets PLL4
{
  CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO = CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_BYPASS | CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_ENABLE
           | CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_POST_DIV_SELECT(2) // 2: 1/4; 1: 1/2; 0: 1/1
           | CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_DIV_SELECT(nfact);

CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_NUM   = nmult & CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_NUM_MASK;
  CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_DENOM = ndiv & CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_DENOM_MASK;

CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO &= ~CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_POWERDOWN;//Switch on PLL
  while (!(CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO & CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_LOCK)) {}; //Wait for pll-lock

const int div_post_pll = 1; // other values: 2,4
  CCM_ANALOG_MISC2 &= ~(CCM_ANALOG_MISC2_DIV_MSB | CCM_ANALOG_MISC2_DIV_LSB);
  if(div_post_pll>1) CCM_ANALOG_MISC2 |= CCM_ANALOG_MISC2_DIV_LSB;
  if(div_post_pll>3) CCM_ANALOG_MISC2 |= CCM_ANALOG_MISC2_DIV_MSB;

CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO &= ~CCM_ANALOG_PLL_AUDIO_BYPASS;//Disable Bypass
}

// This function sets all the necessary PLL and I2S flags necessary for running
FLASHMEM void config_i2s(int fs) /*The argument here is the sample rate*/
{
  /*CLOCK GENERATION*/
  CCM_CCGR5 |= CCM_CCGR5_SAI1(CCM_CCGR_ON);

//PLL:
  // PLL between 27*24 = 648MHz und 54*24=1296MHz
  int n1 = 4; //SAI prescaler 4 => (n1*n2) = multiple of 4
  int n2 = 1 + (24000000 * 27) / (fs * 256 * n1);

double C = ((double)fs * 256 * n1 * n2) / 24000000;
  int c0 = C;
  int c2 = 10000;
  int c1 = C * c2 - (c0 * c2);
  set_audioClock(c0, c1, c2);

// clear SAI1_CLK register locations
  CCM_CSCMR1 = (CCM_CSCMR1 & ~(CCM_CSCMR1_SAI1_CLK_SEL_MASK))
       | CCM_CSCMR1_SAI1_CLK_SEL(2); // &0x03 // (0,1,2): PLL3PFD0, PLL5, PLL4
  CCM_CS1CDR = (CCM_CS1CDR & ~(CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PRED_MASK | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PODF_MASK))
       | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PRED(n1-1) // &0x07
       | CCM_CS1CDR_SAI1_CLK_PODF(n2-1); // &0x3f

// Select MCLK
  IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1 = (IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1
    & ~(IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1_SAI1_MCLK1_SEL_MASK))
    | (IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1_SAI1_MCLK_DIR | IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1_SAI1_MCLK1_SEL(0));

/* CONFIGURE OUTPUT PINS 
   *  We need to use the RX module as it's pins are easily accesible
   *  the TX module has it's pins on the bottom of the Teensy PCB
  */
  CORE_PIN20_CONFIG = 3;  //1:RX_SYNC  (LRCLK)
  CORE_PIN21_CONFIG = 3;  //1:RX_BCLK
  CORE_PIN7_CONFIG = 3;   //TX DATA OUT

/*DATA TRANSMISSION
   * The TX module is synchronized to the RX module.
   * The RX module generates the clocks as
   * it's pins are in a normal spot unlike the TX module
  */

/* DEFINITIONS:
   *  Frame Sync - L/R signal
   */

/*TRANSMIT MODULE*/
  bool tsync = 1; //1 -> Synchronus operation 0-> Asynchronus

I2S1_TMR = 0; //I2S pin masking register

//I2S1_TCSR = (1<<25); //Reset

I2S1_TCR1 = I2S_TCR1_RFW(1); //FIFO watermark

I2S1_TCR2 = I2S_TCR2_SYNC(tsync) | I2S_TCR2_BCP // sync=0; tx is async;
        | (I2S_TCR2_BCD | I2S_TCR2_DIV((1)) | I2S_TCR2_MSEL(1));
  /*
   * SYNC - Mode of operation. 0 for Asynchronous where the TX module generates it's own clocks, or 1 for Synchronus, where it synchronizes it's clocks do the RX module. 
   * BCP - Bit Clock Polarity. Are we sampling on the FALLING edge (0), or RISING edge (1)?
   * BCD - Bit Clock Direction (when set to 1, like it is here the MASTER generates the bit clock?)
   * DIV - Bit Clock Divide (Divides the Master Clock into the bit clock, aka the one we transmit)
   * MSEL - MCLK Select, selects which MCLK (Master Clock) source for the TX module.
   */

I2S1_TCR3 = I2S_TCR3_TCE;
  /*
   * TCE - Transmit Channel Enable
   * This enables the individual I2S transmit channels,
   * The teensy has 4 transmit channels so TCE is 4 bits wide
   */

I2S1_TCR4 = I2S_TCR4_FRSZ((2-1)) | I2S_TCR4_SYWD((16-1)) | I2S_TCR4_MF
        | I2S_TCR4_FSD | I2S_TCR4_FSP;
  /*      
   * FRSZ - Frame size, how many words of data are we transmiting?
   * SYWD - Sync Witdh, configures how many bit clocks-1 does one frame consist of?
   * MF - MSB First, configures if MSB or LSB is sent out first. 0 -> LSB. 1 (like here) -> MSB.
   * FSE - Frame Sync (L/R), does it start on the first bit withn a frame(0), or the one before it(1)?
   * FSP - Frame Sync Polarity, is the Frame sync active HIGH? (0) or active low? (1)
   */

I2S1_TCR5 = I2S_TCR5_WNW((16-1)) | I2S_TCR5_W0W((16-1)) | I2S_TCR5_FBT((16-1));
  /*
   * WNW - Word Width, configures how wide in bits-1, each word is.
   * W0W - Word 0 Width, configures how many bits-1 are in the very first word the I2S sends.
   * FBT - First Bit Shifted
   * Which bit should be sent out first? If we confiured the TX module for MSB first, this value should be
   * greater than or equal to the Word With, and will decrement as we send out the bits. For LSB,
   * it should be smaller or equal to the word with, and will increment up.
   */

/*RECIEVE MODULE*/
  bool rsync = 0; //1 -> Synchronus operation 0-> Asynchronus

I2S1_RMR = 0;
  //I2S1_RCSR = (1<<25); //Reset

I2S1_RCR1 = I2S_RCR1_RFW(1);  //FIFO watermark

I2S1_RCR2 = I2S_RCR2_SYNC(rsync) | I2S_RCR2_BCP  // sync=0; rx is async;
        | (I2S_RCR2_BCD | I2S_RCR2_DIV((1)) | I2S_RCR2_MSEL(1));
  /*
   * SYNC - Mode of operation. 0 for Asynchronous where the RX module generates it's own clocks, or 1 for Synchronus, where it synchronizes it's clocks do the TX module. 
   * BCP - Bit Clock Polarity. Are we sampling on the FALLING edge (0), or RISING edge (1)?
   * BCD - Bit Clock Direction (when set to 1, like it is here the MASTER generates the bit clock?)
   * DIV - Bit Clock Divide (Divides the Master Clock into the bit clock, aka the one we transmit)
   * MSEL - MCLK Select, selects which MCLK (Master Clock) source for the RX module.
   */

I2S1_RCR3 = I2S_RCR3_RCE;
  /*
   * RCE - Recieve Channel Enable
   * This enables the individual I2S recieve channels,
   * The teensy has 4 recieve channels so RCE is 4 bits wide
   */

I2S1_RCR4 = I2S_RCR4_FRSZ((2-1)) | I2S_RCR4_SYWD((16-1)) | I2S_RCR4_MF
        | I2S_RCR4_FSP | I2S_RCR4_FSD;
  /*      
   * FRSZ - Frame size, how many words of data are we transmiting?
   * SYWD - Sync Witdh, configures how many bit clocks-1 does one frame consist of?
   * MF - MSB First, configures if MSB or LSB is sent out first. 0 -> LSB. 1 (like here) -> MSB.
   * FSE - Frame Sync (L/R), does it start on the first bit withn a frame(0), or the one before it(1)?
   * FSP - Frame Sync Polarity, is the Frame sync active HIGH? (0) or active low? (1)
   */

I2S1_RCR5 = I2S_RCR5_WNW((16-1)) | I2S_RCR5_W0W((16-1)) | I2S_RCR5_FBT((16-1));
  /*
   * WNW - Word Width, configures how wide in bits-1, each word is.
   * W0W - Word 0 Width, configures how many bits-1 are in the very first word the I2S sends.
   * FBT - First Bit Shifted
   * Which bit should be sent out first? If we confiured the TX module for MSB first, this value should be
   * greater than or equal to the Word With, and will decrement as we send out the bits. For LSB,
   * it should be smaller or equal to the word with, and will increment up.
   */

// Enabled transmitting and receiving
  I2S1_RCSR |= I2S_RCSR_RE | I2S_RCSR_BCE; //Recieve
  /* Recieve needs to turn on fist as it's our clock source*/

I2S1_TCSR = I2S_TCSR_TE | I2S_TCSR_BCE; //Transmit
  /*
   * TE - Transmiter Enable (1 to enable, 0 to disable)
   * BCE - Bit Clock Enable (enable the transmiter bit clock which here is synced to RX)
   * FRDE - DMA requests, can the DMA write to I2S? 1 -> Yes 0 -> No.
   */

}

And here is the rough way I'm sending data right now, as I said, just shoving it into the I2S1_TDR0 register
Code:
int16_t oscillator=0;

void YM3014_next(int16_t dac_value)
{
  /* Prepare data */
  dac_value=57344|((dac_value+32768)>>3); //Set all S bits to 1 and shift by 3. We add +32768 to the dac value to turn it into a unsigned int

/* Transmit! */
  I2S1_TDR0=dac_value;
}

void loop() 
{
  oscillator++;
  YM3014_next(oscillator);
  delayMicroseconds(5); //Max 5
}

You could poll the TCSR FRF bit, to check when the transmit FIFO wants more data.

This may be a silly question, but have you at least tried the audio library, even if only the verify your DAC chip is connected properly?

Hello,
Unfortunately, I can't try to verify it with the audio library because, you see. This DAC isn't even I2S. It's an old chip (YM3014). It is working and I have figured out how to communicate with it using manual bit banging with fastDigitalWrite before, and all works fine. However, I've been looking for a hardware driven communication solution. In fact I made a post about it. I tried SPI as was suggested to me, and while I did setup the communication, I couldn't get the chip to work, as it needs a constantly running (well not really, I explained it more in the SPI post) clock. However, after looking at I2S I realized, that if I send data to the chip when the Sync pin is high, the resulting communication occurs exactly how this YM3014 wants it. And since I2S has a constantly running clock, it can convert the data as well. So, that's why. I am basically exploiting the way I2S works to communicate with this chip using hardware communication in the Teensy 4.0 board. All I need to figure out is how to reliably send data to one channel only, left or right.

Thank You for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

Ok, I see what you're trying to do. And wow, that is a really ancient chip! Just curious, why use it rather than a modern part?

With some fiddling and watching the waveforms on a scope or logic analyzer, you'll probably find a way to get the LRCLK to be high for 8 cycles and low for 8 cycles. Maybe configure FRSZ for only 1 word per frame, and SYWD for 8 bits so LRCLK gives you the "LOAD" signal that chip wants.

screenshot.png

My understanding is "LATCH" on this diagram is a signal internal to the chip, so once you get the frame size down to just one 16 bit word and the correct size / polarity / offset sync pulse, you should have everything you need.

Thank You, I'll try it out. I've already setup the communication to have the correct number of bits per LR pulse, but I'll try to play some more with the I2S parameters. Though I can see that I may have made a few mistakes in my setup so hopefully I'll be able to get this working. Thank You very much for the help. As for, why don't I get a better chip? Well, I'm using it mostly to figure out how to utilize I2S to do things it wasn't meant to do. Same goes for my earlier SPI attempts. I’ve seen Bitluni utilize weird hardware modules on the ESP32 to control things like this and I always wanted to try that. Plus, I have many other “more practical” ICs with similar communication protocols to that of the YM3014, so it was wise I think to get some practice with doing things like this on a simpler chip. Plus, I have a lot of these chips so maybe they'll come in handy one day.

Hello,
I'm just posting to let people know that all is working now. I have configured the communication to occur just like my bit-banging tests with a single 16-bit word, and a active high SYNC pulse during transmission. I have kept the RX module to generate the Bit Clock, as the TX's pins are unavailable on the Teensy 4.0. However, I have utilized the TX module to send the SYNC pulses so I can use it's ONDEM mode. This way I'm only transmitting samples when there is something to send, fulfilling my requirement for the data latching. And here are the results:

Yellow -> TX Sync Pulse
Green -> Sound data (16 bits)
i2s.png
And the YM3014's output, a nice saw wave. The noise is due to this being on a breadboard.
i2s_wave.png

Once, again thank You very much for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back