USB MIDI : how to connect Teensy sequencer + Teensy synth + ext Keyboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmanuel63

Hello,

I am lost with USB MIDI.
I have build :
- a (basic) sequencer with a Teensy LC.
- a synth with a Teensy 3.6. I have wired the MIDI HOST and it is working.

I don't know how to connect these devices together and which port to use. For exemple, how would you connect :
- my T3.6 synth + my T LC sequencer + an external USB MIDI keyboard (no computer)

Generally speaking how do you connect multiple Teensy MIDI devices together ? Do I have to care about "master mode" and "host mode" ?
Sorry for this basic question but it is not clear for me.

Emmanuel

Connect your sequencer and your keyboard to a USB hub (I would use a powered hub, if you have one) then connect your hub to the MIDI host port on your Teensy synth.

Thank you !

Another question : is it possible to connect directly my sequencer (T-LC) into a T3.2 synth, using a micro USB <--> micro USB cable ?
I don't have such a cable for the moment...
Emmanuel

micro USB vs. USB host connections & capabilities

Thank you !

Another question : is it possible to connect directly my sequencer (T-LC) into a T3.2 synth, using a micro USB <--> micro USB cable ?
I don't have such a cable for the moment...
Emmanuel

Emmanuel (emmanuel63):

I don't think that will work. All USB operations depend upon a "USB host" recognizing, initializing, & communicating with a "USB device". With your proposed "micro USB <--> micro USB" you would have two USB devices, but no USB host. Take a look at <this> thread for discussions on the different capabilities & different scenarios between using the Teensy micro USB interface for MIDI & using the Teensy USB host for MIDI. Hopefully this will make it clearer. I would expect that you would still want to connect your T-LC sequencer into the USB host port on your synth. Note that I have not used a T3.2 specifically, but taking a quick look, I don't believe that it has a USB host interface...I have only used the T4.x, which has both micro USB & USB host. You might consider using the T4.x for your synth.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Thanks for making it clear !
I have tested a micro USB <--> micro USB connection : it fails. So yes, you definitely need a HOST USB port.
Emmanuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back