Teensy 4.0 survived crash but not the USB port, how to reprogram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarosin11

Hello,

I'm the lead avionics engineer for my schools rocketry team, oddly enough I'm a mechanical engineer so I spend a lot of time on these forums.

I flew a beta test of my flight computer on Saturday and the parachute failed to deploy causing my system to hit the ground at a less than optimal speed.

The payload bay was smashed to bits but surprisingly the teensy 4.0 main processor survived with some bent pins, at least that's what I though until I plugged in USB power, no joy. I hook up the 5v and ground rail, and it powers on.

Is there a way to reprogram a teensy 4.0 not by using the USB plug or is there a way to fix the plug?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it means a great deal to a student who is out of his field of study.

On the T_4.0 there are no exposed pins/pads for the Device USB. There are D+/D- pads under the USB connector - but those are wired for USB Host port on the processor and won't help in programming.

Sounds like the connector suffered damage and only works with noted external power?

If the T_4.0 is otherwise okay and the Device connector connections at least for GND and D+/D- then the underside VIN<>VUSB trace could be cut with use of external power and Device USB to host computer might work for programming and use.

But that would requir a usable Micro USB connector (or great wire soldering to a cable) with lines usably soldered to the PCB

So the D+- pads would become the data in/out pads? If so that can work, I just would need to figure out how to cut the trace from vin to vusb, correct?

I have decent soldering skills and perfboard, I could make something work with some pogo pins maybe?

D+- only on the top of the PCB - where the factory USB connector was. As noted underpads are labelled as USB Host are not of use for Device programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back