Teensy 4.1 with WS2812B

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumped

Hey guys

after 3 days of testing and trial and error, I decided to address the public.

I have a self-made LED matrix with WS2812B LEDs 16x16 which work without problems under Arduino (Uno as well as Nano). With the Teensy I simply can't get the whole thing working. I have a random flickering on the strips, not the simplest codes seem to work.

I have so far the following libraries through and am with the nerves at the end:

- FastLED

- WS2812Serial

- WS2812

- octows2811

NOTHING seems to work here :(.... any idea or a simple code snipped which is running on your side with the Teensy 4.1 + WS2812B

I am a total beginner with teensy. Therefore it would be very helpful if someone could send me a codesnipped which works in the constellation 4.1 + WS2812B

Thanks for your help!!

Sorry it has been awhile since I played with neopixels and the like.

One thing I found with Neopixels was they wanted to be driven with 5v signals and the Teensy outputs 3.3v signals.
I was able to make one work with 3.3v signal by connecting up the neopixel to use 3.3v instead of 5v... But not sure that would work well in a chain of them.

So I when I normally play with them I end up using a level shifter, either on my own boards, or use some simple one from places like Sparkfun/Adafruit.

I have also played around some with using the Teensy LC with them as there is one IO pin that is setup with an level shifted signal. Or with with PJRC PropShield, although
it is more setup for DotStar with two signals.

Good luck.

Hey there, thank you fou your input.

FunFact:
I power the neopixels with a separate power supply unit. Means 5V and GND are handled by the power unit. Only the digital "signal" comes from the teensy. So i dont think there is a Problem with the Voltage level or am i wrong?
To exclude that I have too little power in addition i tried the whole setup with just 4 Pixels. No success :(

Hey there, thank you fou your input.

FunFact:
I power the neopixels with a separate power supply unit. Means 5V and GND are handled by the power unit. Only the digital "signal" comes from the teensy. So i dont think there is a Problem with the Voltage level or am i wrong?
To exclude that I have too little power in addition i tried the whole setup with just 4 Pixels. No success :(

@plumped:

Did you connect a common ground between your separate power supply unit for the neopixels & the ground of the Teensy 4.1 ?? From the Arduino IDE, click on File -> Examples -> OctoWS2811 (under Examples for Teensy 4.1) for several examples that you can use to make sure that your hardware is working correctly.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Hi, I think that KurtE was actually saying that the signal and the power need to be of the same (or similar) voltage. Even though you are using 5v separate power supply, the teensy is still only outputting 3.3v data signal. Arduino (depends what you are using) may well be putting out 5v data signal. try either bumping up data signal V or lowering power V. Its been a while, but I think data was required to be within 0.5v of power V

Hardware-wise, make sure you have a GND connection from Teensy to the LEDs. The GND wire should follow the same physical path as the signal wire. Most modern WS2812B can work with a 3.3V signal input. But some can not and you need a level shifter to increase the signal from 3.3V to 5V. Unidirectional chips like 74HCT245 and 74AHCT125 are best.

Software-wise, 2 bugs were recently fixed in FastLED (one of them was use of OctoWS2811 from within FastLED). So if you use FastLED, install the latest beta. And keep an eye out for any messages Arduino prints about duplicate copies of libraries... make sure you're using the FastLED library which Teensyduino installed in the {Arduino}/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/FastLED directory. WS2812Serial, OctoWS2811, and Adafruit_Neopixel should work fine if you have 1.54 or 1.55 installed. To check, in Arduino click Help > About.

In terms of general troubleshooting, showing us the actual code you're using for testing and photos of the actual wiring can sometimes help. Just last week we had a thread where WS2812 LEDs weren't all updating (but at least 1 LED was) and what initially was thought to be a library compatibility problem turned out to be a "simple" bug in the test program where the wrong variable was used inside a loop, so the code wasn't actually changing the pixels. Those are the sort of mistakes that can be very hard to notice when you've gone over the same code and wiring over and over. If you show us photos and an exact copy of the complete test program you're using, sometimes we can spot those sorts of things.

@plumped:

Did you connect a common ground between your separate power supply unit for the neopixels & the ground of the Teensy 4.1 ?? From the Arduino IDE, click on File -> Examples -> OctoWS2811 (under Examples for Teensy 4.1) for several examples that you can use to make sure that your hardware is working correctly.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Would be cool if that works, but the out of the box "BasicTest" yells Error compiling for board Teensy 4.1.

Any idea?

Would be cool if that works, but the out of the box "BasicTest" yells Error compiling for board Teensy 4.1.

Any idea?

Allright the solution for the "BasicTest" yells Error compiling for board Teensy 4.1. was to change naming to avoid loading the wrong library in arduino instead of teensy folder.

Hardware-wise, make sure you have a GND connection from Teensy to the LEDs. The GND wire should follow the same physical path as the signal wire. Most modern WS2812B can work with a 3.3V signal input. But some can not and you need a level shifter to increase the signal from 3.3V to 5V. Unidirectional chips like 74HCT245 and 74AHCT125 are best.

Software-wise, 2 bugs were recently fixed in FastLED (one of them was use of OctoWS2811 from within FastLED). So if you use FastLED, install the latest beta. And keep an eye out for any messages Arduino prints about duplicate copies of libraries... make sure you're using the FastLED library which Teensyduino installed in the {Arduino}/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/FastLED directory. WS2812Serial, OctoWS2811, and Adafruit_Neopixel should work fine if you have 1.54 or 1.55 installed. To check, in Arduino click Help > About.

In terms of general troubleshooting, showing us the actual code you're using for testing and photos of the actual wiring can sometimes help. Just last week we had a thread where WS2812 LEDs weren't all updating (but at least 1 LED was) and what initially was thought to be a library compatibility problem turned out to be a "simple" bug in the test program where the wrong variable was used inside a loop, so the code wasn't actually changing the pixels. Those are the sort of mistakes that can be very hard to notice when you've gone over the same code and wiring over and over. If you show us photos and an exact copy of the complete test program you're using, sometimes we can spot those sorts of things.

Thank you Paul for your clear description. I am now powering 5 pixel directly from the 3.3V from the teensy (for testing purposes). Ground also connected to teensy GND and it perfectly runs as expected!

Now the question is, how i can i calculate the needed power supply? i have 256 pixels in the frame. I have calculated once a value of 5V 15A is that possible?

20211122_165728.jpg

Allright its now working also with power everything over 5V power supply.... I think the point here was to use the same GND for Teensy and also the LEDs which @kd5rxt-mark mentioned at the beginning :)

20211122_170923.jpg

20211122_170930.jpg

20211122_170934.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back