Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: DAC Voltage Suddenly Unstable

DAC Voltage Suddenly Unstable

I am sending voltage directly from the DAC on the Teensy to the Control Voltage Input on a analog voltage control oscillator.

The voltage was stable for months yet now the output voltage seems to be unstable.

Hardware: Teensy LC and Teensy 3.6

Circuit:

Teensy Synth

Ground ---> Ground
    DAC Pin ----> CV Input

Issue occurs on both

Issue occurs with my original code along with the following simplified code.

I guess this instability could have always been there and I simply did not notice til now, but it seems to be new.

I will edit the post and post a picture of the signal on my oscilloscope as soon as I have it.

Is it expected that I send the DAC output through an opamp?

Or would using an opamp as a buffer simply output a buffered voltage with the same issue?

Code:
    void setup() {
    analogWriteResolution(12);
    }

void loop() {
      for (int i =0; i < 4; i++){

float dacU = i*1279.6875;
       dacU = round(dacU);
    analogWrite(A21, dacU);
    delay(2000);
    }}
    The voltage fluctuates noticeably at all times.

Thanks in advance

While taking a picture of the signal on an oscilloscope I realized that reading the signal without the ground connected to the scope looked the same as my issue....

The problem was fixed by connecting ground.

I was using my first ever self designed and printed PCB, looks like I have some grounding issues to fix.
    I would delete this if I could, but I guess is good for others to see that people make stupid mistakes....

Use a multimeter FIRST before spending hours checking other things....

I am shocked that the voltage was able to effect the synthesizer and oscilloscope so much without a ground connected??!!

While you are fixing the pcb its a good idea to at least buffer the DACs output with a 740x adding a 68R at the output of the OpAmp. Its standard for Eurorack that every device protects itself as you cant be sure the other side is nice to your module....

While you are fixing the pcb its a good idea to at least buffer the DACs output with a 740x adding a 68R at the output of the OpAmp. Its standard for Eurorack that every device protects itself as you cant be sure the other side is nice to your module....

I am shocked that the voltage was able to effect the synthesizer and oscilloscope so much without a ground connected??!!

Its "grounded" via your Teensys USB connection