Now for MP3 with FS...

What is "DiskIOMB"?

It's a small CLI that I use to test all of the different filesystems and the ongoing changes to them. I wanted a way to access the different filesystems without having to constantly upload modified sketches for each filesystem I was testing. Basically a unified way to access all of them. It started out with DiskIO which allows using a device name or number in a path spec to access a certain device. The name can be volume label like "/32GSDEXFAT/" or an assigned volume number like "0:" or "16:" etc...

DiskIOMB is a version of MicroBox that I have modified for use with DiskIO found here:
http://sebastian-duell.de/en/microbox/index.html
It is an Arduino library that resembles a Linux shell. It's easy to add commands to it.

Here is a link to my version of it:
https://github.com/wwatson4506/DiskIO/tree/DiskIOV2

This version play's wave files using two of the the files from Teensy-WavePlayer. I modified them pretty much the same as with Arduino-Teensy-Codec-Lib. You can play them from both built in and external SD cards, LittleFS memory devices and MSC USB devices. Hopefully when I am done with the changes it will also play all of the other codec types as well. I initially have it working now but ran into the problem with wave files that are larger the 60meg as it's using the Audio libraries version of waveplayer @mjs513 modified for FS. Not sure yet what the difference is. The large > 60meg files play with Teensy-WavePlayer but not the Audio library version.

Anyway you can type help at the command line for a list of commands:
Code:
DiskIOMB

The original version of microBox found here:

Initializing, please wait...

Type 'help' for a list of commands...

root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT>help

Available Commands:

clear  - Clear Screen (VT100 terminal Only)
ld     - List available logical drives.
ls     - List files and directories.
cd     - Change logical drives and directories.
mkdir  - Make directory.
rmdir  - Remove directory (must be empty).
rm     - Remove file.
rename - Rename file or directory.
cp     - Copy file (src dest).
cat    - List file (Ascii only).
play    - Play a Wav file. Press 'end' key to stop.(VT100 Terminal)
        - Cannot perform disk operation on same device WAV file 
        - is playing from. It will lock up DiskIOMB!

All commands except clear and ld accept an optional drive spec.
The drive spec can be /volume name/ (forward slashes required)
or a logical drive number 0:-32: (colon after number required).
Examples: cp /QPINAND/test.txt 1:test.txt
          cp test.txt test1.txt
Both cp and rename require a space between arguments.
One space is required between command and argument.
Relative path specs and wilcards are supported.
Example: ls 16:a/b/../*??*.cpp.

root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT>

@wwatson - have you tried to increase the audiomemory? AudioMemory(40) or might be related to something else. Actually only thing that I changed was instead of SD.open I use fs->open.

Can you try your large file just using the waveplayer example in the Audio lib to see if yo have the same problem?

@wwatson - have you tried to increase the audiomemory? AudioMemory(40) or might be related to something else. Actually only thing that I changed was instead of SD.open I use fs->open.

Can you try your large file just using the waveplayer example in the Audio lib to see if yo have the same problem?

I'll try it now...

EDIT:
Code:
root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT/Music>ls
Volume Label: 128GEXFAT
Full Path: /128GEXFAT/Music
[COLOR="#0000FF"]armaged.wav                                 56863276            December 05 2021 08:59:46
Daddy's_Little_Man.wav                      40900890            December 05 2021 09:00:34
DeffLepardAnimal.wav                        43025728            December 05 2021 09:01:34
ThePaperboysMolinos.wav                     35639166            December 05 2021 09:02:20
ThePaperboysMolinosI'veJustSeenaFace.wav    36381082            December 05 2021 09:02:54[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]YoureLazyJimmyBarnesJoeBonamassa.wav       102878370            December 05 2021 08:59:22
WhateverYouWant.wav                         60148386            December 04 2021 19:14:08[/COLOR]
Free Space: 123264565248
root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT/Music>

Increased to:
Code:
AudioMemory(40)
The files in blue play the two in red do not. Tested on the PC and both files in red play:confused:

At this point I do not understand what the size of the file has to do with it.

Last edited:
They probably use a newer header than the waveplayer supports.
Microsoft-typical (not sure about the history - i think they just took the apple aiff-header and senseless modified it(?) - as usual for microsoft) they have several header versions.
PLUS there are several "unofficial" versions, used by 3rd party tools.

If you find a way to send me the two problematic file, I can take a look at their headers.

In addition to what Frank said you can download Audacity to make sure they are at 44100hz (ran into that as well) and then resave the wav file that always seems to work for the files I use

@Frank - Will try to send them as zips. @mjs513 - Will check them with Audacity.

Thanks guys:)

In addition to what Frank said you can download Audacity to make sure they are at 44100hz (ran into that as well) and then resave the wav file that always seems to work for the files I use

Well that fixed the problem:) Both files at 48000Hz. Used Audacity to change the bit rate to 44100 (once I finally figured how to).

Both files play now:)

Thanks Mike. I learn something new every day...

Well that fixed the problem:) Both files at 48000Hz. Used Audacity to change the bit rate to 44100 (once I finally figured how to).

Learned the same way as you - think Frank pointed that out to me a long time ago as well. But glad you got it working

:D

Wonder if the software could/should be updated, to when you say play X.wav if it is going to fail due to new format or wrong bit rate, that it might return some error message to inform the user...

:D

Wonder if the software could/should be updated, to when you say play X.wav if it is going to fail due to new format or wrong bit rate, that it might return some error message to inform the user...

That's probably a good thought. When I was testing I added Serial.printf's to the stop() and update() functions. When the wave file failed to play it went into an endless loop in update() spewing "update()...". Had to power cycle to get it to stop.

Teensyduino doesn't allow errormessages. Only Serial.prints (with all its disadvantages)
But, right, play() could at least return an error - an enum or similar.

Teensyduino doesn't allow errormessages. Only Serial.prints (with all its disadvantages)
But, right, play() could at least return an error - an enum or similar.

Started horsing around with this. You just blew what did out of the water:) Did not realize this was a no-no.

Anyway made a couple of small changes to play_sd_wav.cpp. Added a couple of lines to parse_format(): Serial error prints. and in consume() I added this:
Code:
	  // check & extract key audio parameters
	  case STATE_PARSE2:
		len = data_length;
		if (size < len) len = size;
		memcpy((uint8_t *)header + header_offset, p, len);
		header_offset += len;
		buffer_offset += len;
		data_length -= len;
		if (data_length > 0) return false;
		if (parse_format()) {
			//Serial.println("audio format ok");
			p += len;
			size -= len;
			data_length = 8;
			header_offset = 0;
			state = STATE_PARSE3;
			goto start;
		}[COLOR="#FF0000"]else { // Added for invalid bit rate
			stop();
			return false;
		}[/COLOR]

The result:
Code:
DiskIOMB

The original version of microBox found here:

Initializing, please wait...

Type 'help' for a list of commands...

root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT>play WhateverYouWant48000.wav
Playing: /WhateverYouWant48000.wav
Error: Unused WAV File Bit Rate -> 48000Hz.
root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT>play Music/WAV/WhateverYouWant.wav     
Playing: /Music/WAV/WhateverYouWant.wav
root@Teensy:/128GEXFAT>

@FrankB - Just updated Teensy-WavePlayer to your latest. As far as installation do I need t overwrite "Audio.h" in the Tennsyduino Audio library? or will it override it if in the Arduino/libraries folder?

Just looking for proper installation and usage...

Thanks

Back