TEENSY 4.1 with 4.0 AUDIO CARD pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

soky157

I tried to send a pic of how I have pinned the Teensy 4.1 and Audio board 4.0 but it did not go thru. I am having difficulty getting the two to mate up. On the Teensy 4.1 board the Pins are on the bottom so that the Teensy can be pushed onto a breadboard. The Audio board 4.0 has pins female headers on top, so that the Teensy connects to it. But I cannot external wires to connect to both. I would really need some help here and would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

soky157

Always a puzzle to decide on connecting ... top or bottom ... double stack or female headers on one end ...

This page shows the pins used for the different elements - minor diff T_3.x .vs. T_4.x shown: teensy3_audio.html

Photos ( jpg or png ) are limited to about 1MB - perhaps the image at hand was over that limit and it gets rejected without useful comment

I built an adapter using stacking headers and stripboard to solve this problem for my T4.0 - in retrospect I
should have populated either the Audio adapter or Teensy itself with stacking headers.
teensy_adapter_top.jpg
teensy_adapter_bot.jpg

If you don't want to desolder the sockets on the audio board (I would hate to have to do that!), I think I would put the T4.1 on the breadboard and wire the audio board to the breadboard. You would have to make the wires as short as possible sticking one end into the female header on the audio board and the other end into the breadboard. If you are only using the audio (not the SD card and memory chip) you can just wire up 7 pins plus power and ground. See the pinout table near the top of this page.
Failing that you'd probably have to buy a new audio board (PJRC has a Black Friday Sale on them) and some female headers with the long pins.

Pete

Pete, thank very much really, for helping me with this. I will try suggestions and see how they work. Have a wonderful Holiday!

soky157

Hello Pete, Concerning the Audio Board 4.0, are you saying that the Headers or straight pins should be soldered to the bottom of the Audio board and NOT the top?

soky157

Hello Pete, Concerning the Audio Board 4.0, are you saying that the Headers or straight pins should be soldered to the bottom of the Audio board and NOT the top?

soky157

reading here - since the Audio board has headers just go about : "sticking one end into the female header on the audio board and the other end into the breadboard."
> as long as the right gauge of solid wire is at hand - that can make decent contact if the wires will be stable once connected.
-> if the wires won't solidly fit into the header then it might take soldering them to the solder already on the Audio PCB.

@soky157 Can you try again to send photos of your T4.1 and audio board? Easiest thing is to use JPG format and make sure they're under the size limit.

What I usually do is use long-pin female headers on the Teensy so that it can be plugged into a breadboard and have an audio board stacked on top. The audio board then has regular header pins.
I ran into a wee problem with a T4.1 when I wanted to connect the Ethernet adapter to the board and also put the audio board on top. There isn't enough room for the audio board to sit on the T4.1 when the Ethernet cable is also connected. So I added another stack (not soldered this time) of long-pin female headers to the T4.1 and then plugged the audio board into that. Probably not optimal but it worked :)

are you saying that the Headers or straight pins should be soldered to the bottom of the Audio board and NOT the top?
I don't understand exactly what you're asking here. The regular header pins are soldered on the top of the board. The long-pin female headers would be soldered under the board.

Pete

Solder question

Hi, same basic question. I have a 4.1 with an audio shield. I blew up my first 4.1 trying to breadboard-wire these two components together. I bought a new one and thought it wise to ask before I destroy things again. Does this layout look correct? The top audio shield already has soldered pins which I attached to that header directly. I was planning on soldering the underside of the header to the 4.1.

teensy + audio.jpg

teensy + audio2.jpg

teensy + audio1.jpg

Hi, same basic question. I have a 4.1 with an audio shield. I blew up my first 4.1 trying to breadboard-wire these two components together. I bought a new one and thought it wise to ask before I destroy things again. Does this layout look correct? The top audio shield already has soldered pins which I attached to that header directly. I was planning on soldering the underside of the header to the 4.1.

View attachment 26733

View attachment 26734

View attachment 26735

Nope... the pins are printed on the bottom of the shield..

teensy4_audio_back.jpg

They correspond to the Teensy pins..

Paul should probably post a photo how it should look like..

Thanks, I have the GND->12 and 5V->13 pins aligned between the Teensy and the Audio Shield. I thought they could be stacked either top or bottom. What am I missing?

The respective pin 0s align since I have it from GND->12 and 5V->13, respectively. Assuming that's correct, it's ok to solder what I have shown together? Sorry for the many questions. I am new to this.

Oops.. do not see any photos. Hm? Ok, maybe a forum or other problem.
If these pins are aligned, everything should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back