External power to the Vin pin of Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Lepinski

I would like to use my Teensy 4.0 without the USB connected for power. I understand the Vin pin is limited to 5 volt input. If I wanted to use a wall power to convert AC to DC (5 volt), is there a maximum amperage I should stay below? Most items on Amazon will say 5 volt and 1 or 2 amps, but that seems like that would fry the board. Anyone have a recommendation?

On those sorts of power supply, the amperage spec is a maximum the product can deliver. The power supply controls the voltage and the current depends on how much power is used by the things you connect to it. So even though it's rated for 2 amps, when you connect a Teensy 4.0 which uses approx 0.1 amp, the current won't be 2A. It will be only 0.1 amp.

Teensy external power

On those sorts of power supply, the amperage spec is a maximum the product can deliver. The power supply controls the voltage and the current depends on how much power is used by the things you connect to it. So even though it's rated for 2 amps, when you connect a Teensy 4.0 which uses approx 0.1 amp, the current won't be 2A. It will be only 0.1 amp.

Paul: Thank you for replying so quickly and answering my question. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Brad

be careful with some china bricks, they can say 5v but actually be 6 or 7... the max actual voltage must be 6v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back