How to hold network jack for Teensy 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdredd

Working with my brother to 3D print me a case.

With the teensy 4.1 kit, I have the ethernet adapter setup for it.

There are no holes in the board itself to screw down to anything.

It has the 6 metal tabs (2 on each side, 2 on top) to lock it in place I assume to some degree.

But I don't know what that design would be? I looked up the part number but doesn't say much.

Is there A certain term for this? or A 3D STL file someone can point me to? Like to make sure network jack here is secure in the box.

I was recently wondering the same thing. To my knowledge there is no standard mounting convention that is going to help out here. The six prongs on the side will provide lateral tension for the jack within a properly sized opening, and the front edge of the PCB will hold it against the inside lip of the opening, but you're going to have to provide some form of retention behind it so that it doesn't fall backward into the enclosure. This could either be a protrusion you design into your enclosure so that the assembly snaps into place, or it could be a screw you locate directly behind the board (or both).

IMO it would be extremely useful for future revisions to provide a screw hole in the board. That would aid tremendously in quick assembly in a prototype scenario. Once you get to the point of designing a custom enclosure it's no problem to address, but until that point you have this ethernet assembly flailing around on your prototype (or fastened down by a piece of tape or something) which is less than ideal. All in all though, extremely pleased to have ethernet built-in to the 4.1 and have the ethernet kit be offered so affordably. Well done PJRC.

I was recently wondering the same thing. To my knowledge there is no standard mounting convention that is going to help out here. The six prongs on the side will provide lateral tension for the jack within a properly sized opening, and the front edge of the PCB will hold it against the inside lip of the opening, but you're going to have to provide some form of retention behind it so that it doesn't fall backward into the enclosure. This could either be a protrusion you design into your enclosure so that the assembly snaps into place, or it could be a screw you locate directly behind the board (or both).

IMO it would be extremely useful for future revisions to provide a screw hole in the board. That would aid tremendously in quick assembly in a prototype scenario. Once you get to the point of designing a custom enclosure it's no problem to address, but until that point you have this ethernet assembly flailing around on your prototype (or fastened down by a piece of tape or something) which is less than ideal. All in all though, extremely pleased to have ethernet built-in to the 4.1 and have the ethernet kit be offered so affordably. Well done PJRC.

Yah making a lip that the board back side slides under and holds it down maybe. There is a 1mm or so part of the board there to work with maybe... be tight fit to wedge in there like that.

Maybe eventually 1 or 2 other circuit board designs one can choose from with different mounting holes.

One with a single hole on the back side.. and another where one screw hole on left and right sides?

Maybe one that is A networking keystone jack style setup? Standard-ish? and easy to snap into place.

Did a quick test print of part of an enclosure I'm currently working on. As long as your print tolerances are accurate enough for friction fitting parts together, something like this should suffice. The module snapped in snugly and was actually a bit difficult to remove, so that's a win.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 5.27.30 PM.png
IMG_4354.jpg
IMG_4355.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting... if got any kind of STL of just a base design of that? I can give it my brother to work with. He can make some pretty good looking prints and all that but still learning himself on editing existing designs and/or making his own.

Usually I just point him to something and say print me this, and/or tweak this here and there and print it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back