Unable to program on Teensy 4

tialian

Hello, I'm unable to program any sketches onto Teensy 4.0, failing with the error of "No Teensy boards were found on any USB ports of your computer."

1. I tried two different USB cables to the same effect that are known good for programming other devices
2. I tried two different computers that have been able to program other microcontrollers
3. I tried using PlatformIO (latest) and Teensyduino (Arduino 1.8.12).

The orange LED blinks the standard blinking program that comes with Teensy 4.0. The only thing that I've tried to do so far is to solder on headers and program it. It shows up as a HID device when I plug it into the computer. When I press the pushbutton on the Teensy 4.0 nothing happens: the Teensyduino loader doesn't change or say that the program is uploaded. I have also tried holding it down but the program continues to run the blink program (LED blinks at 1Hz).

Ok so now it works.

1. I left it plugged in and tried to program again - program failed and asked me to use the pushbutton
2. When I used the pushbutton it somehow reset to factory settings - the image of the chip appears on the Teensyduino Loader instead of the board. Program failed again.
3. Unplugged and replugged the Teensy and the red LED lights up for the first time. I pressed the pushbutton again and this time it programs the board.
4. I updated the blinking rate and used upload. Now it works automatically.

I'm not sure what changed since I've been trying to program this Teensy 4.0 for many months but no success.

The T_4.1 uses 480 Mbps USB and may demand more of a cable than slower 12 Mbps devices.

If getting power - and starting up right - it seems the T_4.1 RED LED should appear on a button press when connected to a Host. And perhaps do a RED blink when no host connected but powered up.

Is anything soldered or connected to the T_4.1?

Having the Teensy.exe Loade rprogram open and opening the "Help / Verbose" window will show any signs of interacting with a Teensy that connects.

When plugged in : are there any painfully hot components on the T_4.1 PCB? Typically near the USB connector end.

1. The Red LED near the USB does not come on on plugging in and on button press
2. Only headers are soldered to the Teensy 4.0, it is not plugged into a breadboard.
3. It gets warm but not painfully hot - one component is 46 deg C near the USB.
4. Turning on the verbose info does show that the Teensy is connected

When unplugged and cool.

hold your finger on that 'suspect area' as possible and plug it in.

Does the temp rise to the point of not wanting to hold your finger there in some few seconds?

It takes longer than a few seconds or even minutes before it gets uncomfortably hot, roughly about 2 minutes before it starts to get warmer than everything else around it. The MCU also gets uncomfortably hot

I hear the sound of the device being plugged in when I plug it in on Windows.

3V pin is showing 4.3V,
5V pin is showing 7.4V.

3. I tried using PlatformIO (latest) and Teensyduino (Arduino 1.8.12).

When using Arduino, click Help > About. The About info will show both Arduino & Teensyduino versions.

Also try Help > About in Teensy Loader, as it's possible to have an older copy of Teensy Loader still running, even if you're run a newer copy of Arduino+Teensyduino.

Which version of Teensyduino is actually installed?

I switched to my laptop since I sent my desktop computer in to fix. Still facing the same issue where it is unable to program the board however.

Arduino version: 1.8.16
Teensyduino: 1.55 (both in Arduino & Teensy Loader)

It takes longer than a few seconds or even minutes before it gets uncomfortably hot, roughly about 2 minutes before it starts to get warmer than everything else around it. The MCU also gets uncomfortably hot

I hear the sound of the device being plugged in when I plug it in on Windows.

3V pin is showing 4.3V,
5V pin is showing 7.4V.

Those voltages are rather worrying!! Where did you have the negative (black) lead of the multi-meter placed?

I'd hope those voltages are a symptom of a flat battery in the multimeter, not the actual voltages on the Teensy...

I replaced the battery and it is measuring the right voltages now!

Still unable to program it however. I've been successful in programming other Teensy boards, but just not the Teensy 4.0

Back