Second USB Port

Kleebi

Hello,
Is it possible to connect a second USB (Type-B) Port to a Teensy 4.1
It's nessesary to programm the teensy an send/receive Data.

The USB Port will be mounted in an Housing where USB Type B is standard.

Thanks
Kleebi

This is something that obviously Paul can answer a lot better, but will try...

Not sure exactly what you are asking.

a) if asking can you connect up a different connector to the main USB port, There are two round pads on the bottom of the T4.1 you can connect up to to get the USB+- signals and hook a different connector.

b) If you are asking can you use the 2nd USB connection (the 5 pins) sort of above digital pins 1-6 as a USB port to connect to a computer the same way you can use the primary USB, the answer is probably not, as it mainly setup to be a USB Host. Like the ability to plug in a mouse, or keyboard, or...

b1) Can it be used to connect to 2nd PC? Maybe, but I don't believe the software exists to try this. Again currently only ships with software to support host mode
b2) Could you program the Teensy from this port? I am pretty sure not... At least not in the same way as from the primary USB. There are threads talking about programming the Teensy over the air by having code in your program that can take the data and reprogram...

c) As one doing this stuff only as a hobby, the few times I wanted to place a Teensy inside of a housing, I would simply use a small adapter cable, like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15464
But again I only do this as a hobby.

Again sorry, I am not sure if this at all answers your question.
Kurt

I'm also not clear about the question. But I add a few facts, which may or may not help depending on what was meant in the question.

Agree, the best solution for a full size USB B connector is a special cable. This one might be worthwhile:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/937

The 2nd USB port is normally used for USB host, but its hardware is cable of USB device operation. WXMZ published some code to do this, so if you absolutely need to use the 2nd port as USB device, at least that code might be a starting point.

Programming with Teensy Loader only works on the main USB device port. If you make only the 2nd USB port accessible, you will not be able to use it to load or update your code.

Back