Teensy 4 Project - Analogue (analog?) Belkin Nostromo Speedpad Keyboard / Keypad

Mad_Man_Moon

First post, 'ello all!

I know plenty of people have done it before, and I'm literally learning as I go along, but I'm having fun, and trying to make this as simple as possible so that there's an easy path for the future.

So instead of lots of rewiring and all that, I'm using USB host, and then tacking the thumb stick along with it. :)

analog thumb nostromo - sm 95pc.jpg

So far so good! the serial monitor is picking up all the Nostromo buttons (except the one I've bodged) which is a positive sign.

Now I just have to work out what on earth I'm actually doing with the teensy. ;)

Also, I'm spelling it analogue, because that's how I learned to spell the word ... if it's analog, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...

Process So Far
Stage One
  1. Dismembered Nostomo and opened the cavity for the (cheap) analogue stick (upgrades can be made later).
  2. Worked out spacing and direction for analogue stick depth in the hole.
  3. Chopped the pins on the analogue stick to fit.
  4. Turns out that the PCB for the original digital Nostromo D-Pad actually placed the analogue stick at the perfect depth. So luckily this means I could chop off the PCB for the orange button above it and use that as a spacer, and hopefully it still be usable later.
  5. Found a few places the teensy 4 could go, and settled on either under the control board or under the keyboard / keypad.
Stage Two
  1. Spent an inordinate amount of time due to terrible soldering skills trying to get perfect length wires attached from the USB host on the teensy to the control board.
  2. Scrapped all that work, and went to the wires you see above as they're easier to poke through holes and affix in general.
  3. Spent an inordinate amount of time wondering why the USB host wasn't working, and found it to be because of:
    • Bad initial wiring, hence the previously mentioned re-do
    • Couldn't work out the right USB host example to use, and it turns out that the one named Mouse actually has the keyboard stuff in it.
  4. Arduino serial monitor picks up Nostromo buttons ... nice.
  5. Currently now sitting back for a bit until I have the energy to learn more about the actual code side of things to learn how / where to shove in the analogue thumbstick stuff, understand how to send the Host buttons onward, and either move the orange button to a teensy button for fun stuff, or fix it on the nostromo connections.

Anyway, I'll try to edit this with any updates. Thought it should be posted somewhere online, and here seemed to be the place for it ... hopefully I'll not be creating any threads in support, and it's all plain sailing. Would be excellent if the USB host (yes, i've read chapter 4! ;-) ) can be a near as damnit plug and play mod for folks in the future. :)

Back