Shepard/Barberpole infinite phaser for Teensy4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pio

I always wanted to build that thing, to this dayi have a huge number of LM13700 OTAs laying around, bought with plan to make a Shepard/Barberpole phaser. Finally did it, but on Teensy 4.
It is an interesting effect creating an illusion of infinite modulation going into one direction, contrary to classic LFOs which go up/down and so on. It is done by running a 6 units of 6 stage phaser in parallel and overlapping them in continuous manner.
Maybe not the most musically useful effect, but for any kind of space sound fx (building an Colonial Viper cockpit?) could be very interesting.

Here is how it sounds. Phasers do nicely show their character on harmonic rich sounds, i have used a pre recorded high gain guitar riff. The video does not show the latest feature i've just added: forward and reverse speed. The lfo_rate range is now from -1.0f to 1.0f and creates phase up or down sounds.

This is a float32 version intended to use with OpenAudio_ArduinoLibrary:

InfinitePhaser_patch.png

and the code is here:

https://github.com/hexeguitar/t40fx/tree/main/Hx_InfinitePhaser_F32

A single channel 6stage phaser x 6 parallel path costs about 5% of cpu time.

Piotr

Not really, for that i'd advice using a standard 12 stage mono phaser unit. There is no classic LFO built into the Infinite version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back