OctoWS2811 library trouble

JJCC

I have some SK6812 RGBW LED strings which I'm excited to write some animations for with the Arduino IDE.
But I'm having a problem with installing the library.

The keywords.txt file from the Octows2811 page on github has all permutations of WS2811_RGBW,
but when I install OctoWS2811.h v1.4.0 from the Arduino IDE Libraries manager the Arduino/libraries/OctoWS2811 keywords.txt file only contains permutations of WS2811_RGB

The library.properties file says version=1.4
I have fried deleting and reinstalling the library v1.4, and the Arduino IDE (v1.8.16) and Teenseyduino v1.55.

I most recently tried installing Arduino IDE v1.8.18 and Teenseyduino v1.56, but it still isn't working. I just need the correct library installed, so WRGB keywords are recognized.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I just got a board with 8 RGBW LEDS on and it worked fine with the TeensyDuino installed library and this sketch: {local install}\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\OctoWS2811\examples\BasicTest_RGBW\BasicTest_RGBW.ino

Give that example a try. And on building make sure it is using that library { ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\OctoWS2811 } and nothing from sketchbook or other folder in the verbose console output.

Here it shows: Using library OctoWS2811 at version 1.4 in folder: C:\T_Drive\arduino-1.8.19\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\OctoWS2811
> Just built with IDE 1.8.19 and TD 1.56b5 with that board on Pin #6.

That example is using:
Code:
const int config = WS2811_GRBW | WS2811_800kHz;

OctoWS2811 leds(ledsPerStrip, displayMemory, drawingMemory, config);

PS: Thanks Paul.

You shouldn't need to install anything. OctoWS2811 v1.4 is included with teensyduino

Edit. Ninja'd by defragster

Ok that sorted it thanks.
Since OctoWs2812 has it's own leds.show command, and is compatible with fastLed, it should be possible to use fastLed (which only supports RGB LED's), and shift in some 00 white bits before calling leds.show
to make fastLed work with RGBW SK6812 LED strings correct?

FastLED has code with assumptions about how the pixels are represented OctoWS2811's buffer. You'd probably need to edit that code if the target buffer will be RGBW, since the code was probably written to only use RGB.

This thread github.com/FastLED/FastLED/issues/482 has this note by the author - W in RGBW adds a WHITE BYTE:
Code:
focalintent commented on [B]Aug 25, 2017[/B]
No - there isn't a higher level that it can be done at, yet -- that's why it's an almost entire re-write of the library. So much code is dependent on the structure of CRGB
 -- making all of that be dynamic based on whether the pixel class has 3 bytes or 4 (rgb or rbgw) or even 6 (rgbwww or other combinations that exist out there) and
 whether the bytes are 8-bit or 16-bit is taking a lot of overhauling pretty much everywhere.

That came from a web search for fastled RGBW - there are some github things out there - not sure if any work

Back