multi-channel USB sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franckeno

Hello, I would like to make a multi-channel USB sound card to serve as an interface between a software sequencer and a modular synthesizer. The number of channels would be 16 with possible extension by the ADAT protocol or other. Bandwidth is not essential since the signals sent will be of low frequency: LFO, ADSR, GATE. Which version of TEENSY should I use? Who would be interested in helping me out with the software part ? Thanks in advance to the volunteers !

Hi Franckeno,

Are you writing the software sequencer or is it existing software?

Because if you're writing it, you have more freedom to choose the protocol over USB.

Hi Wildsparx, no I'm not there! I had planned to use BITWIG a sequencer in the line of ABLETON LIVE. These use tools such as CV-TOOL for ABLETON which allow through an audio card to control a modular. I found on the PJRC site a card equipped with a DAC ANALOG DEVICE allowing to have 16 outputs with a very good level of quality. I tried with a TEENSY 3.2, and the appropriate libraries, it works in mono with the TEENSY DAC. The remaining part, and which is not the least, is to switch from mono to 16 multiplexed outputs. And moreover I thought to use this card only for the automation of the modular but the sequencer does not accept several sound cards. Hence the need, in an umpteenth time, to equip it with a few entrances. I am aware of being very far from the goal but just for fun I hang on! If you have any advice and ideas, I'm interested!

Two thoughts:

Why not MIDI? I assume Bitwig can output MIDI/USB - then a Teensy can output CV, gate etc.

I see from Ableton's docs that a DC coupled output is required on the DAC. This may prevent you from reusing other people's multi-channel audio solutions.

(What's frustrating is that the bitrate of actual control information is low compared to the firehose of multi-channel high quality audio.)

Hi Wildsparx,
<< Why not MIDI? I assume Bitwig can output MIDI / USB - then a Teensy can output CV, gate etc. >>

The modular synth is controlled in V / octave. so if I go through MIDI, this module will have to do the conversion. In addition MIDI lacks resolution unlike CV.
<< (What's frustrating is that the bitrate of actual control information is low compared to the firehose of multi-channel high quality audio.) >>

This is precisely what motivates me: to use an extension for the control of the synth in low resolution and to keep the audio processing with a good quality card!

Hi Wildsparx, no I'm not there! I had planned to use BITWIG a sequencer in the line of ABLETON LIVE. These use tools such as CV-TOOL for ABLETON which allow through an audio card to control a modular. I found on the PJRC site a card equipped with a DAC ANALOG DEVICE allowing to have 16 outputs with a very good level of quality. I tried with a TEENSY 3.2, and the appropriate libraries, it works in mono with the TEENSY DAC. The remaining part, and which is not the least, is to switch from mono to 16 multiplexed outputs. And moreover I thought to use this card only for the automation of the modular but the sequencer does not accept several sound cards. Hence the need, in an umpteenth time, to equip it with a few entrances. I am aware of being very far from the goal but just for fun I hang on! If you have any advice and ideas, I'm interested!

Hi,
I'm also putting together a multichannel (>15) Teensy 4.1 synth laser controller project and started to use Ableton Live, but noticed that it is limited to only 8 channels. So, I switched to the Cakewalk DAW, which has virtually unlimited channels, plus far more features than Ableton. It's a free download from Bandlab, which is an audio makers' collaboration site that might also be useful for your objectives.
Hope this helps.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back