Using a rechargeable battery with teensy?

albnys

How can I use a battery to power my teensy, that charges while the usb is plugged in? Some stuff i read suggests that you can't have both usb power and battery power. If thats the case, could you have an external power source (not usb) thats powers the teensy and charges the battery?

You could use one of these.
Charges and gives 5v and 3.3v output.
It can supply Teensy through the switched USB connector or via soldered connections.

How can I use a battery to power my teensy, that charges while the usb is plugged in? Some stuff i read suggests that you can't have both usb power and battery power. If thats the case, could you have an external power source (not usb) thats powers the teensy and charges the battery?

@albnys:

Check <this link> for more information on the USB/charger/battery combo that I am using successfully in one of my projects.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

charger-psu.jpg
You can use one of these, shown above, to hold an 18650 battery and charge it from USB whilst also powering the Teensy from the PSU/Charger which plugs into the Teensy USB.
So PC USB -> to Charger/USU in USB -> Teensy USB from PSU/Charger output USB Socket.
It will charge the battery and power the Teensy, effectively acting as a Teensy UPS, though it might be better to power the Teensy from the battery, charging it (the battery) when the voltage gets down to about 3v. Battery voltage that is.
It seems to match your requirements quite well without having to mutilate your Teensy by cutting tracks.

Last edited:
Back