Teensy 4.0 + Audio Shield not using Audio processor

tmonkfish

Hi yall, I'm working on a project implementing a novel approach to MIDI note extraction from mono and polyphonic audio signals (mostly electric guitar). I ordered a Teensy 4.0 with pins and Audio shield and soldered the board to the shield. I uploaded my test script via platformio running on top of vscode. The script is a heavily based on the example code for the Teensy AudioAnalyzeNoteFrequency class found here https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/A...ples/Analysis/NoteFrequency/NoteFrequency.ino (the unmodified example script also fails, but simply produces no output, while my modified version hopefully provides some insight into whats going on)
The script is as follows: main.cpp
Code:
#include <SerialFlash.h>
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include "guitar_e2_note.h"
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AudioAnalyzeNoteFrequency notefreq;
AudioOutputAnalog dac;
AudioPlayMemory wav_note;
AudioMixer4 mixer;
AudioConnection patchCord0(wav_note, 0, mixer, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord1(mixer, 0, notefreq, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord2(mixer, 0, dac, 0);
IntervalTimer playNoteTimer;

bool playStarted = false;
void playNote(void)
{
  if (!wav_note.isPlaying())
  {
    wav_note.play(guitar_e2_note);
    playStarted = true;
    digitalWriteFast(LED_BUILTIN, !digitalReadFast(LED_BUILTIN));
  }
}
void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("SERIAL STARTED");

Serial.print("NOTE[0]:\t");
  Serial.printf("%x", guitar_e2_note[0]);
  Serial.print("\n");

AudioMemory(30);
  /*
   *  Initialize the yin algorithm's absolute
   *  threshold, this is good number.
   */
  notefreq.begin(.15);
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  // Audio library isr allways gets priority
  playNoteTimer.priority(144);
  playNoteTimer.begin(playNote, 1000);
  Serial.print("PLAY STATUS: "); Serial.print(playStarted?"NOT PLAYING\n":"PLAYING\n");
  Serial.println("SETUP END");
}
int c = 0;
void loop()
{
  if(c == 0){
    Serial.println("loop started");
  }
  Serial.flush();
  c++;
  if(c%10000000 == 0){
    Serial.print("CPU=");
    Serial.print(AudioProcessorUsage());
    Serial.print("%, max=");
    Serial.print(AudioProcessorUsageMax());
    Serial.print("%\n");
  }
  //read back fundamental frequency
  if (notefreq.available())
  {
    float note = notefreq.read();
    float prob = notefreq.probability();
    Serial.printf("Note: %3.2f | Probability: %.2f\n", note, prob);
  }

}
I expected to recieve a note output in hz along with a probability from the Audio.h implementation of the YIN algorithm, but it seems that notefreq.available() is always false.
Instead, the program produces the following output:
SERIAL STARTED
NOTE[0]: 8100cbd8
PLAY STATUS: PLAYING
SETUP END
loop started
CPU=0.00%, max=0.00%
CPU=0.00%, max=0.00%
CPU=0.00%, max=0.00%
CPU=0.00%, max=0.00%
... it then continues the previous line ad-infinitum
The fact that the CPU and Audio processor usage are at 0% causes me to suspect that there is some issue in the communication between the teensy and the audio shield dsp chip but frankly I have no idea whats going on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s nothing in there that refers to the audio shield, and because the Teensy 4.x models don’t have a DAC your audio system doesn’t have an object with “update responsibility”. So the audio interrupt isn’t enabled, hence no CPU usage.

Check out an example using an AudioOutputI2S and AudioControlSGTL5000 object - HardwareTesting/ToneSweep.ino is pretty minimal - and either paste the relevant bits into your code above, or delete the irrelevant bits from the example and paste in (most of) your code.

you are using DAC and not Audioboard (SGTL5000 + I2S)
not sure if T4 has even DAC (output_dac shows no functionioality)

There’s nothing in there that refers to the audio shield, and because the Teensy 4.x models don’t have a DAC your audio system doesn’t have an object with “update responsibility”. So the audio interrupt isn’t enabled, hence no CPU usage.

Check out an example using an AudioOutputI2S and AudioControlSGTL5000 object - HardwareTesting/ToneSweep.ino is pretty minimal - and either paste the relevant bits into your code above, or delete the irrelevant bits from the example and paste in (most of) your code.
Thank you so much!
adding
AudioOutputI2S audioOutput; // audio shield: headphones & line-out
AudioControlSGTL5000 audioShield;
and then calling
audioShield.enable();
audioShield.volume(0.5);
in setup did the trick.
You're help is much appreciated!
-Theo

Back