Does TeensyDuino work with OSX Monterey?

phatmanace

Is TeensyDuino known to be supported by OsX monterey?

I just installed it (I've shown a screengrab of the version I downloaded to make sure I got the right one!) - I see the 'are you sure you want to open' box, and then when I click 'yes' - I just get a white blank window that pops up

I already have version 1.8.13 of the arduino software installed. It also doesn't appear in the list of applications I can give 'full access to files and folders' to, so I assume the install hasn't gotten that far.

If someone else has gotten it working with Monterey, then I'll assume it's just my set up and keep debugging, but thought I'd check that since Monterey is quite new that someone has gotten it working with this version :)

teensy.png

I am pretty sure you want the version above it... I think you grabbed the old version before the MAC code clamped down on security, where now you need to download the whole Teensyduino, which includes Arduino ide...

Yes, it works fine with MacOS 12.1 Monterey. You need the first file called "Macintosh OS Software (10.10 - 12.x)".

sc.jpg

Last edited:
That 2nd file called "Macintosh OS-X Installer (10.7 - 10.14)" is meant for older Macintosh. That one will not work on MacOS 12.1 Monterey.

We have 2 copies on the website so people with very old Macs can still use the software.

And just to explain a bit further, the one for newer Macs is a complete copy of all the software (explained in the install steps lower on that page). The software for older Macs, and for Linux and Windows, is an installer which adds Teensyduino into a copy of Arduino.

Apple starting requiring a process called "notarization" with MacOS 10.15 Catalina. The installer approach is no longer possible with Apple notarization. That is why the older software does not work beyond 10.14.

When I try to install on Monterey 12.2.1, the install dialog comes up but it's blank. Something is there cause I can click around, like clicking near the bottom right closes it. But I can't see anything which makes it a little bit harder to install :)

Ideas?

(I did install the "Complete Software" and that runs. But it's not working for a older big project I'm trying to build, I was told to install version 1.47. Which I get the same install issue with 1.47 where the installer is blank.)

screenshot.jpg

When I try to install on Monterey 12.2.1, the install dialog comes up but it's blank.

You're using the software for older Macs. It doesn't work on Monterey.

We publish 2 copies of the software for Macintosh. One is meant for newer MacOS, the other meant for old MacOS. Apple made major changes in the transition from Mojave to Catalina. The newer software works on some of the pre-Catalina MacOS systems, but the old software absolutely does not work on Monterey (or Big Sur or Catalina).

You might consider using 1.57-beta2. Get it here: (download the one which says "Catalina to Monterey")

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70409-Teensyduino-1-57-Beta-2

While it's called beta, this new version has a workaround for a pretty terrible MacOS kernel bug. Someday Apple should fix their kernel, but so far all versions of Monterey have this bug. Teensyduino 1.57 has a redesigned serial monitor program which avoids triggering that MacOS bug.

We publish 2 copies of the software for Macintosh. One is meant for newer MacOS, the other meant for old MacOS.

Thanks for the reply Paul. The latest version (and the beta) install and run fine. Just don't work with my project code. Looks like compiler wants me to create a header file for all the .ino files. So maybe that was something a new requirement.

From what I've read, if you have the .ino in a opened tab in the IDE then you don't need a .h file for it. But that doesn't seem to be the case with this project, not sure if the project got screwed up somehow. Any ideas on why that might be happening?

I did a test by creating a new project and added some functions to a .ino that was in a tab. And it worked. So it does work, just not sure why this older project isn't working.

If no ideas then I'll try posting over in the Ardunio IDE Forum.

Cheers!

Any ideas on why that might be happening?

Absolutely no idea. I can't see your code, can't see the compiler error message, can't experience whatever you're seeing on your screen.

If no ideas then I'll try posting over in the Ardunio IDE Forum.

If it's for Teensy, probably best to ask here. But please, try to give enough info so anyone reading your message can reproduce the problem. Or at least see the problem. Don't ask us to blind guess without any info.

Thanks for the reply Paul. The latest version (and the beta) install and run fine. Just don't work with my project code. Looks like compiler wants me to create a header file for all the .ino files. So maybe that was something a new requirement.

From what I've read, if you have the .ino in a opened tab in the IDE then you don't need a .h file for it. But that doesn't seem to be the case with this project, not sure if the project got screwed up somehow. Any ideas on why that might be happening?

As @Paul notes - the verbose console output would probably show the nature of the trouble, in conjunction with the code at hand.

When the IDE sees an INO it has to be one of the same base name of the folder: 'mySketch.ino' and it has to be in a folder of the same name "mySketch"
> that may be the case - and the IDE it seems complains about that - but haven't tested it in a while and it will likely get confused if not set up like that.

When that is the case no header or prototypes are needed for items in that file, or other INO's in that folder that are parsed together and prototypes created negating the need for a .h or manual prototype declarations - though 'variables' still have to be defined before use - esp in the case of globals.

If that is the case and mySketch.ino is open do a Ctrl+T to have the IDE apply a uniform formatting of the code. Then scroll through the code following the indentation, if it breaks or becomes uneven there is some typo/syntax error that will throw off the compiler having it give random error messages for that point, or from some issue prior.

The Ctrl+T won't always show the point of the problem - but is an easy first test to see what the compiler sees.

Back