accelerometer sensitivity

Carlos7

Hi all,

I just started a new project and I am comparing different accelerometers. But I am stuck with the sensitivity parameter.
What are the differences between the following units of measure?

counts/g
mg/LSB
mV/g
mg/digit

I wish I could understand it well and a practical example would be very useful, for example:

How can I relate the counts / g and mg / digit?

You're right, it's pretty confusing. First, "counts" are just the value you would read from an accelerometer data register. 1 count and 1 LSB and 1 digit are all the same thing. "g" (gravity) and "mg" (milli-gravity) are units of acceleration. Some of your examples have acceleration (g or mg) in the numerator, and some are in the denominator. To compare them, you can convert to whatever units make sense to you.

mg = g/1000, so counts/g = 1000/(mg/digit)

g "little-g" is the acceleration due to local gravity, and is about 9.8m/(s^2) on the Earth's surface - its not a precisely defined value,
but then MEMS accelerometers are very rough-and-ready compared to precision accelerometers. g is overloaded, it means
gram as well as the Earth's gravitation constant. mg is not a recognised unit of acceleration, it would normally mean milligrams, or in
mechanics its often mass x g (ie gravitational force) in equations.

I suspect a lot of these datasheets are very sloppy with units! I'd simply translate to acceleration units directly so everythings always
in SI units. Just replace g with 9.8m/(s^2).

Note that little-g is zero on the international space station, so they will have even more gripes with these datasheets!

Yes, gravity depends on location, but 1 g for the OP's purpose is not defined as local gravity, but as "standard gravity" at the earth's surface (9.80665 m/s^2), and the output of the sensor, for a given acceleration, does not vary with the local force of gravity.

The nominal "average" value at the Earth's surface, known as standard gravity is, by definition, 9.80665 m/s2

@ MarkT
little-g on the ISS is about 89% of earths surface, or about 8.7 m/s^2.

@Carlos7
The mpu-6050 accelerometer is available from many sources with libraries (use the Arduino Library Manager to find one) that will run on a teensy, and it is fairly sensitive. I have used the ADXL355 and it is very sensitive, but expensive. Analog devices has a write up comparing their sensors that discusses sensitivity, "Choosing the Most Suitable MEMS Accelerometer for Your Application—Part 1" in "Analog Dialogue 51-10, October 2017" at analogdialogue.com . I don't work for them or anything like that, but I found the information helpful.

I built a MEMs accelerometer based seismometer using a MPU-6050 and later replaced it with the ADXL355 which is very sensitive (and works very well).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi,

A lot of the possible confusion arises due to the fact that accelerometers don't measure acceleration - they measure a force and divide that force by a mass to get a result that has the units of acceleration.

Consider an accelerometer that contains a magnet of mass m. It has coils to produce a magnetic field, and by controlling the currents in those coils, it can control the position of the mass within itself. It's control system is designed to keep the magnet levitating at a fixed position within it. (Note that that isn't the type of accelerometer you are likely to be using - but it may help with understanding).

If you place the accelerometer on the desk in front of you, an apparent weight force mg (where g has the units of acceleration, but is really a conversion factor to convert from mass to apparent weight force magnitude, and which varies with geographical position and height above the ground) acts vertically downwards on the mass. The control system has to produce an upwards force of magnitude mg to counteract it. It divides that by m, and therefore gives an output "acceleration" of g vertically downwards (although some accelerometers are calibrated to give zero output in that situation - i.e. they subtract it from the measured value before outputting the result).

If the accelerometer is attached to something that is "accelerating vertically downwards" at 2 m/s^2, for example, then the control system will have to apply a lower force upwards on the mass to keep it in position within the accelerometer. The upwards force will be m(g-2), and so it will give an output of (g-2) upwards.

All acceleration is relative - it depends on what you measure it relative to. I appear to be fairly static as I type this to someone looking in my window, but, if observed by someone at the centre of the Earth, for example, we are both accelerating towards the axis of rotation of the Earth (that's what keeps us rotating with the Earth). That acceleration is not g - it's much lower, and depends on where you are - for example, it's zero at the poles.

The actual net gravitational force acting on me due to the gravitational interaction between my matter and that of the Earth is different to the apparent weight force acting on me. The apparent weight force (mg acting vertically downwards) is adjusted to take into account the fact that I'm accelerating towards the axis of rotation of the Earth - the value of the conversion factor g takes it into account when calculating the magnitude of the force, and the direction "vertically downwards" also takes it into account.

The fact that acceleration is relative, and the fact that my actual acceleration, measured from, for example, the centre of the Earth (or from, for example, some fixed point in space), has a different magnitude and direction to the acceleration of other people in other places, complicates things. That's why simplifications are made. So, we often consider a person standing still on the Earth to be "static", and that the acceleration of an object relative to them is the object's "acceleration". The value of g is adjusted to make that possible (and "vertically downwards" changes with location). That's fine for most things you need to deal with - but falls apart when you start thinking about the ISS, for example.

Don't know if that clarifies anything really!

All the best,

Alan

Back