How to recompile after making modifications in ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/

was-ja

Hello,

I would like to place some debugging information into several functions in ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/cores and ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries

If I rebuild Teensyduino (1.56) I have no modification. I tried to make "make" inside these dirrectories, make do something but it seems that generated *.o files does not go into arduino environment.

I am using arduino-1.8.19, Teensyduino 1.56, Ubuntu, and Teensy 4.1.

Please, advice me how to incorporate changes made in ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/cores and ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries into my current project!

Thank you!

Please, advice me how to incorporate changes made in ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/cores and ~/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries into my current project!

I don't know if this is either the "only" way nor the "best" way, but I have forced a rebuild of everything after making mods in the core by changing the Teensy model (e.g. when using a Teensy 4.1, change model selection as follows: T4.1 ==> T4.0 == T4.1).

Hope that helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Arduino is supposed to recognize the file has a newer modification date/time and automatically recompile it.

It's easy to mistakenly open the wrong file, like editing usb_desc.h for Teensy 3 when you have Teensy 4. Especially on Windows, it's also easy to end up with more than 1 copy of Arduino on your PC and not have a clear idea of which one you're really running. As a first step, I'd suggest to just add any syntax error and click Verify. Or change the settings as WMXZ suggested and then click Verify. If you don't get a compile error, it's almost certainly because you're editing a different file than Arduino actually uses.

But if you're sure you have the correct file and Arduino isn't noticing your change, look at the file's modification time. If it's somehow in the far future, then just save the file so it gets today's time, and quit & restart Arduino.

Thank you very much for your comments! Since you helped me to understand that it is not normal situation, I start to search in the configuration.

Finally, the problem was in the ~/.arduino15 - it had some old configuration from previous arduino/teensy. Just removed it, restarted arduino, load appropriate sketch, and everything start to work.

Thank you for your assistance!!!

Back