Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Redefining I2S pins from software

Redefining I2S pins from software

Hi,

On a prototype PCB for a Teensy 4.1 + WM8731 I'm working on, I mistakenly swapped the I2S pins BCLK and SCLK. I have no way to rewire that without printing a new PCB, so I was wondering if it was possible to temporarily swap those pins somewhere in the library until I can debug the full board and print a new one ?

I've searched in the library for some pin constants somewhere but couldn't find those.

Best,

SCLK? Do you mean SCK on the teensy pinout card? That's an SPI signal, not I2S. I2S clocks are MCLK/BCLK/LRCLK.

Unfortunately the I2S peripheral (aka SAI1) doesn't work like that, its selectable to only a small selection of GPIO pins
    (typically only 3 choices per signal, not all of which may be brought out as T4.1 pins)
    The I2S code in the audio library has all of this I/O setup code hardwired like this:
    Code:
    	CORE_PIN21_CONFIG = 3;  // AD_B1_11  ALT3=SAI1_RX_BCLK
    	CORE_PIN20_CONFIG = 3;  // AD_B1_10  ALT3=SAI1_RX_SYNC
    	IOMUXC_SAI1_RX_BCLK_SELECT_INPUT = 1; // 1=GPIO_AD_B1_11_ALT3, page 868
    	IOMUXC_SAI1_RX_SYNC_SELECT_INPUT = 1; // 1=GPIO_AD_B1_10_ALT3, page 872
    Full details for the SAI peripheral in the iMXRT1062 processor is in the 3437-page datasheet here:
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/IMXRT1060RM_rev2.pdf - not for the faint-hearted(!)

OK I see, thanks a lot for your answer anyways! Indeed I meant one I2S pin and one SPI pin (which are both used to communicate with the same chip, I guess the SPI pin is the control interface to the audio chip).

I went a different route and did some green wire routing on tiny vias to swap the traces, hope it'll work.

No prototype board is complete without a few bodges like this(!)
    I significantly reduced my error rate with PCBs by introducing a rule that I never submitted a PCB design to manufacturer
    the same day I completed the layout, but came back the next day and reviewed it carefully. My worst PCB gaffe was forgetting
    any connectors for the power rails on one PCB!