Shematic for Teensy 4.1 compatible Pt8211-Kit?

back to my original sketch, it now provides usb audio when usb and pt8211_2 is specified, but still no audio from the dac. I tried manually editing the definitions file to put audiooutput_pt8211_2 and audiooutput_usb in different orders, it doesn't make a difference.

Attachments

• knobby.ino.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • knobby.zip
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
...and. I've had a crack at re-ordering the ::begin() code for most of the Audio I/O objects, the result of which can be found at https://github.com/h4yn0nnym0u5e/Audio/tree/fix/io-inits. I've done a bit of testing and I'm fairly confident that the I2S output objects are OK, along with the PT8211_2, PWM, MQS outputs, and ADC and I2S inputs. There's lots I haven't tested, and don't have the kit to do, including TDM, PDM and ADAT; and the quad, hex and oct I2S haven't had a proper test. So if anyone feels like having a crack at those, it would be most helpful.

The one object I couldn't figure out is the PWM out, so that's unchanged. I think at least some of that is @MarkT's baby, so if you're out there a bit of wisdom would be most appreciated!

Okay, I'm already lost. After reinstalling Arduino, I followed Paul's link in msg, which only took me to the edit of output_pt8211_2.cpp. So, I headed to the parent folder to get the whole 1.57b2 install package. But, that is only the public Master Audio library (that I had previously removed). Isn't this part of the Teensyduino 1.56 installation package? Where do I download ver 1.57b2?

Here's what I have so far, using the same code from before, with the same equipment and Arduino install running ver 1.56, apples to apples, except I've since removed the Audio Master from github, because it wasn't being used.

Arduino is set to not check for updates, so I don't understand the different test results. Looks like the kremlin is getting more particular with his patchchord connections. My lesson learned from this is to simply not use I2S objects with AudioOutputPT8211_2.
I'll move over to the miniPC, reinstall Arduino & ver 1.57b2 and run the same test on a scope.
Aa'll be bock!
:cool:
OK, that's fine. I think the results are all over the shop anyway, so changes on a like-for-like test are pretty much expected. The hope is that with 1.57b2 everything will pass. It should be fine to use I2S and PT8211_2 together, once everything is sorted, and probably with just 1.57b2.

Okay, I'm already lost. After reinstalling Arduino, I followed Paul's link in msg, which only took me to the edit of output_pt8211_2.cpp. So, I headed to the parent folder to get the whole 1.57b2 install package. But, that is only the public Master Audio library (that I had previously removed). Isn't this part of the Teensyduino 1.56 installation package? Where do I download ver 1.57b2?

PaulS posted the links in https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70409-Teensyduino-1-57-Beta-2 - the Announcements category tend to be where the bleeding edge stuff is linked from.

back to my original sketch, it now provides usb audio when usb and pt8211_2 is specified, but still no audio from the dac. I tried manually editing the definitions file to put audiooutput_pt8211_2 and audiooutput_usb in different orders, it doesn't make a difference.

Um ... loaded it up, and I can't find a DAC object in your design ... am I missing something?

By "dac" I Meant the pt8211_2. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I also eddited the output of the graphic design tool so the usb and pt8211_2 are specified right off, then the patchcords from the corresponding mixers to these outputs are numbers 1-4, and it still has no data to pin2 no matter the order I try.

PaulS posted the links in https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70409...no-1-57-Beta-2 - the Announcements category tend to be where the bleeding edge stuff is linked from.
That takes me to KurtE commit request for TyTools' repo, which appears to have nothing to do with a ver 2.57b2 installer.
Am I blind, as well as dumb?

Edit:
Silly questions.
Found it! a few posts down in the same thread as your link.
back soon.

Last edited:
By "dac" I Meant the pt8211_2. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I also eddited the output of the graphic design tool so the usb and pt8211_2 are specified right off, then the patchcords from the corresponding mixers to these outputs are numbers 1-4, and it still has no data to pin2 no matter the order I try.

Ah, OK. Gotcha.

I had another look ... and this sprang out at me (lines 31-33 of knobby.ino):
Code:
const int redPin =  2;
const int greenPin =  3;
const int bluePin =  4;
Uh-oh, I thought. Changed them to pins 22-24, and it looks like it might be working. I haven't got a PT8211 yet (a couple on order), so just looking at the 'scope trace on pin 2, and listening to USB.

OMG!!! A PERFECT SCORE, WHILE FLYING BLIND!!!

Code:
USB Type                                1.55    1.56   Hermit's 1.56     1.57b2
                                                       msg #64  Test #2     
--------                                ----    ----    ------  -------  ------
Serial                                  Fail    OK      OK       Fail     OK 
MIDI                                    Fail    Fail    Fail     OK       OK 
MIDI x4                                 Fail    Fail    Fail     OK       OK
MIDI x16                                Fail    Fail    Fail     OK       OK
Serial + MIDI                           OK      Fail    OK       OK       OK
Serial + MIDI x4                        OK      Fail    OK       OK       OK 
Serial + MIDI x16                       OK      Fail    OK       OK       OK
Audio                                   Fail    OK      OK       OK       OK
Serial + MIDI + Audio                   OK      Fail    OK       OK       OK
Serial + MIDI x16 + Audio               OK      Fail    OK       OK       OK

AudioConnection          patchCord14(X_MIX, 0, I2S_QUAD_DAC, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord11(R_DC, 0, I2S_QUAD_DAC, 1);
AudioConnection          patchCord12(G_DC, 0, I2S_QUAD_DAC, 2);
AudioConnection          patchCord13(B_DC, 0, I2S_QUAD_DAC, 3);

I2S_QUAD_DAC Ports     Hermit's
USB Type                   3     2     1     0     1.56       Test #2   1.57b2
--------                  ----  ----  ----  ----   ----      --------   ------
Serial + MIDI x4            x    x     x    x       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    x     x    C       OK        Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    x     C    x       OK        Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    x     C    C       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    C     x    x       OK        Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    C     x    C       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    C     C    x       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            x    C     C    C       Fail      OK          OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    x     x    x       OK        Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    x     x    C       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    x     C    x       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    x     C    C       OK        Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    C     x    x       Fail      Fail        OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    C     x    C       OK        OK          OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    C     C    x       OK        OK          OK
Serial + MIDI x4            C    C     C    C       OK        OK          OK

Not only that, the compile time is a fraction of 1.56.
You guys are amazing!
Drinks are on Paul, right?

Ah, OK. Gotcha.

I had another look ... and this sprang out at me (lines 31-33 of knobby.ino):
Code:

const int redPin = 2;
const int greenPin = 3;
const int bluePin = 4;

Uh-oh, I thought. Changed them to pins 22-24, and it looks like it might be working. I haven't got a PT8211 yet (a couple on order), so just looking at the 'scope trace on pin 2, and listening to USB.

OMG... all this trouble and you basically did MY work for me. Yeesh. Thanks so much for this. The sketch now works great on my prototype.

TheHermit for the WIN! Woo, as I believe the Young Folk are fond of saying, hoo.

Thanks for doing that testing, helps build at least my confidence that we're getting somewhere.

Nah, you just handed me the perfect pass, Mate. It's been a pleasure working with you. Yes, now I'm much more confident about running 1.57b2 on my projector, now.
BTW, I used to work for a Cambridge company back in the 1980s, named Laser Point Ltd. But, I don't see them online anymore. JS
Please let me know if I can be of further service for the cause.
I think most young folks nowadays drop an 'F' bomb in between Whoo & hoo! lol
Do you still say, "Cheerio!" & "Mind 'ow you go?"

Last edited:
Nah, you just handed me the perfect pass, Mate. It's been a pleasure working with you. Yes, now I'm much more confident about running 1.57b2 on my projector, now.
BTW, I used to work for a Cambridge company back in the 1980s, named Laser Point Ltd. But, I don't see them online anymore. JS
Please let me know if I can be of further service for the cause.
I think most young folks nowadays drop an 'F' bomb in between Whoo & hoo! lol
Do you still say, "Cheerio!" & "Mind 'ow you go?"
That's teamwork, that is...
Laser Point (or Laserpoint) does ring a vague bell, don't know why. I was working for Sinclair Research from 1983 to 1986, in Willis Road then Milton Hall. It's a small world.
"Cheerio" sometimes, "Mind 'ow you go?" rarely, though we do have a North Londoner at work who's been known to say it.

That's teamwork, that is...
Exactly. Not forgetting KurtE and Paul's contributions. I was little more than the score keeper.

Laser Point (or Laserpoint) does ring a vague bell, don't know why. I was working for Sinclair Research from 1983 to 1986, in Willis Road then Milton Hall. It's a small world.
Yes, you're correct that it was Laserpoint. Andy Holmes was their Gov. They were located next to Cambridge Lasers, who made air cooled ion gas lasers and re-gassed old tubes. Perhaps Sinclair (as in Clive Sinclair?) Research did business with them. Willis Road rings a bell. I'll bet the local pub is still there. ;-)
I lived in England from '78-'88, starting with opening Laserium @ the London Planetarium, before going freelance. Laserpoint were significant in the laser entertainment industry, at the time. Sometimes, I would help them out whenever they were over-booked or needed a laserist with a US operator's license.
England changed my life to the point of fully understanding, "The trouble with yanks is that they're overpaid, oversexed, and over here.' (Full disclosure, I married a Nottingham lass, myself. But, she divorced me after several years, because I was rarely home, always chasing $.) Good, decent, kind, civil, well educated folks, most of you lot (except for after final football matches, lol). Nowadays, most yanks are embarrassments, on display for the world to witness. That's got a lot to do with me becoming a hermit within my homeland.
BR, my friend.

Last edited:
So many pubs have closed ... we used to walk across the cemetery to one in Gwydir Street, don't recall which one. Don't think Clive ever had occasion to do business with Laserpoint.

Laserium at the Planetarium! Yes, vague memories of going to that as a kid (well, I'd've been about 16), and probably Laserock as well. Good times.

<tongue-in-cheek>
We do try to set an good example to the Rest of the World ... some of us ... some of the time. After all, y'all can't help being Foreign, you just had the misfortune to be born in the Wrong Country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zyfwtDIHE&ab_channel=FlandersandSwann-Topic (not very PC these days, but they were just kidding, honest!)
<tongue-in-cheek>

LOL!!!
"<tongue-in-cheek>" - The popular British pass time of 'extracting the Michael' from a person, with such straight faced subtly that the recipient replies, "Well, thank you for the kind compliment, Sir."
Thank you sir. I needed a good morning belly laugh at British humor.
Loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fawlty Towers, Last of the Summer Wine, etc.

Edit: We really must stop this banter, but I couldn't resist sharing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6XIubHacPM
<tongue-in-cheek, of course>

Last edited:
...and. I've had a crack at re-ordering the ::begin() code for most of the Audio I/O objects, the result of which can be found at https://github.com/h4yn0nnym0u5e/Audio/tree/fix/io-inits. I've done a bit of testing and I'm fairly confident that the I2S output objects are OK, along with the PT8211_2, PWM, MQS outputs, and ADC and I2S inputs. There's lots I haven't tested, and don't have the kit to do, including TDM, PDM and ADAT; and the quad, hex and oct I2S haven't had a proper test. So if anyone feels like having a crack at those, it would be most helpful.

The one object I couldn't figure out is the PWM out, so that's unchanged. I think at least some of that is @MarkT's baby, so if you're out there a bit of wisdom would be most appreciated!
I've now also had a try at pushing all the audio I/O initialisation code into FLASHMEM. However, it only saves just over 8k if you have one of everything (which isn't possible anyhow), so I don't think there's any point pursuing that.

I haven't had a response from a PM to MarkT about his AudioOutputPWM code, and he's not posted since mid-May, guess he's away or something.

Back