Is Teensy 3.2 EOL?

hsweeten

Hello,

I have a project designed around a Teensy 3.2 board. It uses the extra I/O available on the SMT header on the back of the board.

Is the out of stock of the Teensy 3.2 temporary or is it discontinued?

It it's discontinued I will need to look at using another board for the I/O requirements I need.

Thanks,
Hartley

Not EOL. Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6 are only temporarily out of stock, due to chip shortage. Chips have been ordered (they were actually ordered just slightly over 1 year ago, in January 2021). These boards will be made again when those chips arrive. But they've been delayed by several months due to the global chip shortage. Best estimate is looking like July 2022 for Teensy 3.2, possibly later in 2022 for 3.5 & 3.6.

If you can use Teensy 4.0 or 4.1, the good news is these newer parts are expected to have much better supply throughout 2022. The new chips are manufactured by a different semiconductor foundry and process which is much less affected by the global chip shortage. Teensy 4.0 has the same form factor as Teensy 3.2, with many pins having the same peripheral function, and you get about 11 times faster CPU performance, for about the same price!

If you really need Teensy 3.2, many distributors still have Teensy 3.2 in stock. At this moment Digikey shows 3408 pieces available.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/DEV-13736/5721426

On January 11, 2022 (when PJRC ran out of stock) Digikey had 4138. We expect they will all run out soon. If you can't use Teensy 4.0 and absolutely must have Teensy 3.2, I highly recommend buying the quantity you will need as soon as possible.

While you would have to re-design the pin layout and go to a larger form factor, note the Teensy 4.1 has more digital pins available (42) without having to solder to get at the pads underneath the Teensy 4.1 than the Teensy 3.2 had.

Back