Large touchscreens

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSFX

Hello all

I have been waiting for Nextion screens to drop in price.... and if anything, they have gone up :confused:

I need a 7" (approx) touchscreen for a Teensy 3.2 project.

I have used the smaller 4.3" screens and they are fine, but this is replacing a screen in a car and needs to be a but larger. The Nextion 7" enhanced is almost a perfect size, but a bit expensive, considering it's limitations (not exactly easy to work with).

Just wondered if anyone else had found another make of decent sized screens. The advantage of the Nextions is the graphics are all set up in their software (but it's pretty temperamental).

edit... Just to clarify, the Teensy currently runs a pair of LCD 40x2 screens. I could jump over to a Pi, as the 7" screens are far cheaper.... but then I have to literally start over and learn Pi as well!
Any ideas?

Just wondered if anyone else had found another make of decent sized screens.

Any ideas?

@SteveSFX:

I have previously recommended (& still do !!) a 7" capacitive touch display based upon the RA8875 controller (the supporting library comes with TeensyDuino). You can find the prior discussion <here>.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you may have.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Thanks for that link. They interesting and certainly worth investigating.

Had a read through... maybe I missed it, but what was your PCB issue?

My only issue might be graphics. I am trying to convert this all text system I currently have to a graphics based menu system with some interactive graphics. How does the library achieve the graphics, and something about the flash is inaccessible after mounting? I will keep investigating.

One advantage of the Nextion is I can design sexy screens in Photoshop and then upload those. It does make for professional looking screens, but the software is madly quirky.

As for PCB's, I use JLCPCB. Been brilliant so far and very cheap. I had 10x boards 8"x5" made over Christmas and they were delivered to the UK in 10 days for £23. All work fine.

Thanks for that link...but what was your PCB issue?

@SteveSFX:

In <msg #4> in the thread referenced earlier, I indicated "do not be scared by the fact that I was seeking assistance - I fixed my problem by making sure that signals on opposite sides of the PCB did not run parallel, reducing signal cross-talk as much as possible, by maximizing the ground plane on both sides of the PCB, & by adding decoupling caps around the major components". Lesson learned: previously, I just tried to route signals as short & direct as possible . . . I now pay better attention to avoid the routing of signals in any ways which might cause coupling among the layers, as well as providing good power paths, employing decoupling caps, & a designing in a solid ground plane.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back