Multiple Virtual Serial Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartiniii

I am new to the Teensy boards and I am intrigued by the power one can obtain from such a little device.
I am interested in developing a simple USB resident device with two serial driven devices, a codec, and some digital I/O. I have attached a block diagram.
My question is in regard to the two virtual serial ports. I see some discussion on the Teensy pages about the virtual port created for use with the IDE serial monitor but nothing beyond that.
My questions are: Is there library support for multiple VSPs beyond and concurrent with the one created for the serial monitor? If there is support for that, is it safe to assume that it uses the serial ports already built in to chip?

Regards,
Charlie

Block_Diagram.png

I am new to the Teensy boards and I am intrigued by the power one can obtain from such a little device.
I am interested in developing a simple USB resident device with two serial driven devices, a codec, and some digital I/O. I have attached a block diagram.
My question is in regard to the two virtual serial ports. I see some discussion on the Teensy pages about the virtual port created for use with the IDE serial monitor but nothing beyond that.
My questions are: Is there library support for multiple VSPs beyond and concurrent with the one created for the serial monitor? If there is support for that, is it safe to assume that it uses the serial ports already built in to chip?

Regards,
Charlie

View attachment 27307

The Teensy has several real serial ports (hardware), in addition the virtual one which is for USB.
What kind of codec do you mean? For Audio?

If you mean "virtual by USB"
then there is Dual and Triple variants
but by default those don't support "USB audio" and/or "USB MIDI"
there is people here (including myself) on the forum that have done
combined variants like "USB Dual Serial, Audio, MIDI"

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/6633...onfig-possible?p=271162&viewfull=1#post271162

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/65846-Dual-Serial-Audio-on-Teensy-3-2?p=266985&viewfull=1#post266985

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/6879...Implementation?p=295737&viewfull=1#post295737

Yes, by 'virtual' I mean a virtual COM port accessed over the upstream USB in the same way that FTDI (FT232RL) and Silicon Labs (CP2102) USB-UART Bridges work.
No support for USB audio is required. The audio codec I will use will get accessed from the upstream USB via the USB host - no Teensy intervention will be required.

Regards,
Charlie

The audio codec I will use will get accessed from the upstream USB via the USB host - no Teensy intervention will be required.

Can you explain that in more detail?
You can't use Teensy like a hub, if that's your plan.
How does the Teensy know that it should connect it's usb host port to the usb device port? You'll need to write your own code for that, and it will be pretty tricky, I think.
In addition the Teensys USB host does not support audio devices (there's just no library-support at the moment).

It's just not meant to be used like a hub.

no Teensy intervention will be required.
No.
It does not work as you think it does.

The Host port works like the host port in your PC. It needs drivers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back