Custom PCB with Teensy 4.1 and Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielkr

Hi all,
while sorting out my current problems, I am also thinking about new ones. Or at least about cool new features for my projects :cool:
Using the Teensy 4.1 on a breadboard made me think of a custom PCB where also the Ethernet connector could be placed directly onto the PCB.

As I am not a pro designer for high speed data lines, my assumptions are:

• From the six pins, RX +/- need to have the same length and TX +/- need to have the same length.
  • I see from https://www.pjrc.com/store/ethernet_kit.html how the wiring needs to be done. Is it important what type of capacitor is used or can I use any as long as it has 0.1μF? E.g. an SMD one directly soldered by the PCB factory.
  • If the rx/tx lines are on the front side of the PCB, do I have to take special precautions regarding the back side of the PCB? Usually, I put my ground there and make it as big as possible.
  • As the ethernet pins are in the middle of the board, I might consider leaving out some of the side pins so routing gets easier. Any objections regarding this approach?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Daniel

All that sounds pretty reasonable. The capacitor needs to be a high frequency ceramic type, but the actual capacitance isn't critical. 22nF works just as well as 0.1uF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back