SPI Flash on T4.1 (W25Q64JVXGIM)

jensa

One of the SPI Flash chips on T4.1 is not marked as Optional like the PSRAM and other SPI flash chip. Does that mean that the W25Q64JVXGIM (or similar) are required for a T4.1 design? Or W25Q16JVUXIM for a T4.0 design?

While searching the forum as I typed up this question, I found the answer:
The NXP 1062 MCU has NO onboard Flash

So yes. It's very much required for a custom board since this is where your program is stored.

I'm posting this for future reference so it will show up when others search. If it's not ok to do posts like this for future search reference, pls tell and I'll delete this post.

A simple look at the bottom of a 4.1 shows that there are only two places where an optional chip can be soldered.. which would have answered your question ;)
dimensions_teensy41_photo2.jpg

Can't see how that would answer my question about the W25Q64JVXGIM (found on top of the T4.1 board)? I do of course know that one can solder IC's to these pads, but my question was not about these. It's (as mentioned) for doing a custom T4.1 PCB design I'm wondering. Not for using the T4.1 from PJRC.

3 chips, 2 places where you can solder... one soldered to the top ... if that does not answer the question, i don't know... :)
Then, there is the 4.0 schematic...

You answered your own question. I can confirm that answer is correct.

It is also documented on the T4 bootloader page. Under Supported Chips, it says "An IMXRT microcontroller and flash memory chip must be paired with this MKL02 to form a working system".

If this documentation is confusing or unclear, please give me some feedback to understand why, and I will try to improve it.

3 chips, 2 places where you can solder... one soldered to the top ... if that does not answer the question, i don't know... :)
Then, there is the 4.0 schematic...

Hi Frank and @Jensa - First yes - having posts that describe something you ran into (or a question you have) about doing your own hardware and the answer to it is always welcome and a good thing.

What was maybe unclear at least few reads of the first post was if you were asking a question for others to answer or if you were describing what you found. I believe now the later.

So I believe you were stating is a custom board needs to include the flash chip marked as U3 on the schematic as it is required as it is where the code is stored. Also it is used for the EEPROM emulation as well now as the optional LittleFS Program file system.

As you noted, there are specific chips currently I believe 3 d different sizes the boot loader chip (U2) recognizes. The two you mentioned plus now the one in the Micro Mod Teensy.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
It is also documented on the T4 bootloader page. Under Supported Chips, it says "An IMXRT microcontroller and flash memory chip must be paired with this MKL02 to form a working system".

If this documentation is confusing or unclear, please give me some feedback to understand why, and I will try to improve it.

Ahhh! That very nice interactive power sequencing guide just saved me from making a broken V1.0 of this board! Very well explained and no -> I had completely missed that there was important content on that page.

I think the page is really good, but my browser window happened to not be big enough that I could see information further down the page when I ordered the MKL02Z32VFG4's. I think this is a common problem. The average user won't scroll unless something triggers them to do so. Maybe add a link just under the ordering button that says "Please scroll down to understand Power sequencing and hardware layout requirements when developing your custom board"?

I can see that this page also explains several other things I wondered about, so the content is really good.

So I believe you were stating is a custom board needs to include the flash chip marked as U3 on the schematic as it is required as it is where the code is stored. Also it is used for the EEPROM emulation as well now as the optional LittleFS Program file system.

Yup. As mentioned above, I had completely missed out on all the important information further down the MKL02 page.

Back