Linux Install

I’m trying to install on Ubuntu; however, the installer cannot find version.txt. I read the instructions and installed Arduino IDE Linux 64. One note says that distro’s are not supported. What am I doing wrong? The Linux setup notes need to be updated!

What version of Arduino did you install? And from where?

That is you need to download a version of Arduino from arduino.cc (i.e. not something like apt-get ...)
Also what type of computer? normal pc or something like RPI? I am guessing a normal computer...

I have it running on Ubuntu on my secondary machine without problems. But again make sure you install Arduino from the website. And download the correct version of Teensyduino

What version of Arduino did you install? And from where?

That is you need to download a version of Arduino from arduino.cc (i.e. not something like apt-get ...)
Also what type of computer? normal pc or something like RPI? I am guessing a normal computer...

I have it running on Ubuntu on my secondary machine without problems. But again make sure you install Arduino from the website. And download the correct version of Teensyduino

I used this link to download and installed on PC Ubuntu Desktop: https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduin...XN8H46L5*MTY0NTI3ODQyNy40LjEuMTY0NTI3ODUxMS4w

So you downloaded the linux64.tar.xz file... Which should be the right one.
Where was this archive file expanded to?
On my machine I expanded this info ~/arduino-1.8.19
Then with the downloaded Teensyduino, this is the directory you point Teensyduino to install into.

That is when the installer asks for location I navigate to /home/kurte/arduino-1.8.19/
At which point the next button should be active.

So you downloaded the linux64.tar.xz file... Which should be the right one.
Where was this archive file expanded to?
On my machine I expanded this info ~/arduino-1.8.19
Then with the downloaded Teensyduino, this is the directory you point Teensyduino to install into.

That is when the installer asks for location I navigate to /home/kurte/arduino-1.8.19/
At which point the next button should be active.

I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure where I should extract these files to. Are these temp installation files that will be removed after the install, or are these the actual program files? If they're actual program files where should they be created? I'm not sure if Linux has something similar to a Program Files directory. For now I extracted into Home/arduino-1.8.19. This worked, but it doesn't seem to the idea location for the files.

Thanks for your help!

Those are the actual program files. My preference for stuff like that is /usr/local, but you'll find some differing opinions. Once you extract them, you'll want to run the install script so it can add Arduino to your app launcher.

Back