Teensy 3.6/4.0/4.1 USB Host on regular pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spook

Is it possible to connect USB host port to regular Teensy pins on one of mentioned devices?

I want to use prototype board, but dedicated USB pins are off and I cannot connect them...

Is it possible to connect USB host port to regular Teensy pins on one of mentioned devices?

I want to use prototype board, but dedicated USB pins are off and I cannot connect them...

There are various prototype boards that bring out the pins to positions you can use with a prototype board. Mostly, these are for getting access to the underneath pins of many of the boards. However, for just 5 pins in the host USB, I would just solder wires to these holes and bring them out to your prototype board.

I tend to like using stacking headers on the teensy and connect them to female headers soldered into the prototype board (or use a breadboard) so that I can move the Teensy to a new board. I would just add 5 more pins on one side, and perhaps use the other side to bring out the inner pins on the other side, and the 3 non-power pins on the back. Then I would solder wires to connect the USB host pins to the stacking headers. If you are soldering the Teensy to the prototype board, then you could just run the wires directly to the board.

Since I do use stacking headers, I do tend to solder female headers for the usb host and on the Teensy 3.x the extra analog pins, and then just plug in the male motherboard USB connector. But honestly, I don't use usb host all that often. If I did, then I would likely bring out the pins to longer stacking headers.

The Tindie seller Talldog has several boards to access all of the underneath pins that you might find useful:

Opps. Yes, meant can't do USB on normal pins. Edited msg #2 just now.

Sadly, I've had much less time for forum messages (and so many other things) in these last few weeks. I really should take more time to proofread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back