Teensey 4.1 Schematic For Small Project

Thanks. I do like to joke around. That said, I am planning on soldering these chips and hopefully seeing it boot/come to life.

Knowing that the Teensey 4.1 does indeed work with the given schematic and bootloader code saves about 8000 hours of learning microprocessor circuit implementation, startup, and programming. I had heard about the toaster oven being modified for soldering pcb's and that is an option.

Paul,
Would this particular Memory work (W25QXX128MBIT-6X5 )?

What does the optional PSRAM and Flash memory do in the actual Teensey 4.1? I am wondering if I should add it in to the Micromod version of the schematic I am using/routing? I did elect to add an SD Card interface. I did use diff pair routing on the usb signals.

Incidentally, this is Not Bada bing, bada boom!
6 layer pcb 100x70 mm should be $120 .. hopefully it works in one shot... trying to minimize risk and add as much as I can

What does the optional PSRAM and Flash memory do in the actual Teensey 4.1?

PSRAM lets you create more variables and arrays than would fit into the internal RAM. For an example, see "Using PSRAM Memory" at the end of this page:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/psram.html

Normally flash chip are use with LittleFS to store files.

Would this particular Memory work (W25QXX128MBIT-6X5 )?

That's not a specific part number I can recognize. But it looks like flash rather than RAM.

For the list of supported chips, see the LittleFS readme file

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/LittleFS/blob/main/README.md

LittleFS uses a list of known chips, so if you stray from this specific list, at the very least you can expect to have to modify the LittleFS library to add another chip. If you choose a chip with significantly different command details, you'll need to dive much deeper into the code. Possible, yes, or at least probably. Easy, not so much. Unless you want to get into LittleFS development, really recommend you choose a chip from the supported list.

6 layer pcb 100x70 mm should be $120 .. hopefully it works in one shot... trying to minimize risk and add as much as I can

Before you make a custom PCB, maybe spend a little time with a Teensy 4.1 having these chips soldered to the bottom side, and write some code which actually makes use of the extra chips.

Thanks Paul, That is interesting about the use of either PSRAM or Flash (or Both) for large internal variables.

I was looking at using the W25QXX128MBIT-6X5 as a substitute for the W25Q64JVXGIM chip in the schematic. I did not plan on using LittleFS with it, unless the bootloader and Teensey base code already make use of it somehow in startup.

I see that the W25QXX128MBIT-6X5 connects to the same pins in the MicroMod as the W25Q64JVXGIM does in the Teensey 4.1

It is said that these chips

IMXRT1062DV*6B or IMXRT1062DV*6A (NXP)
W25Q16JV*IM (Winbond)
W25Q64JV*IM (Winbond)

IMXRT1062 chips with extended temperature range are likely to work, but have not been tested.

Winbond flash memory chips with a "Q" at the end of their part number do not work. Only the "M" parts are supported.

are needed to be paired with the micro controller, but I was just wondering about W25QXX128MBIT-6X5 in place. If not, I can look for a footprints for one of the above chips if not. Hopefully one can be purchased.

Ok, Thanks Paul I switched to the W25Q64JVSSIM_TR chip. The _TR is how they sell the chip, maybe on a reel for pick and place or in a bag?

Paul, In the schematic, why is the P-CHANNEL ENHANCEMENT MODE MOSFET component, DMG2305UX, present on the N6, P6 pins (VBUS)? It is different from the MicroMod schmadic. It would seem to be always on and simply sorting the pins would be cheaper?

My chip would only drive logic and the status leds, I am assuming trace width should not be much of a concern.

Back