Can I use a USB breakout board to replicate the same behavior as the existing one?

Hi, I need access to the Teensy 4.0's USB port so that I can send data to a computer (and flash the Teensy), however the form factor of my packaging doesn't allow for me to mount the Teensy against the wall with the USB protruding.

I was hoping to mount one of these and solder it to the Teensy: (LINK)

Does anyone see any issues with this? I know Teensy has a D+ and D- but I can't spot the ID anywhere.

Thank you.

The T_4.0 underside D+ and D- pads are for USB Host usage (this is noted on the card and webpage). They do not replicate or replace the USB Device interface provided by the Micro USB connector.

Best would be to add a plug into the micro USB providing a mountable plug on the other end to expose for use.

The T_4.0 underside D+ and D- pads are for USB Host usage (this is noted on the card and webpage). They do not replicate or replace the USB Device interface provided by the Micro USB connector.

Best would be to add a plug into the micro USB providing a mountable plug on the other end to expose for use.

Thanks for responding. Is there a known way to solder to the 4.0 to replicate the existing USB port?

Is there a known way to solder to the 4.0 to replicate the existing USB port?

The simple answer is no.

But there are a couple not so simple options...

1: You could try to port WXMZ's USB2 library, which offers some USB device support on the USB host port of Teensy 3.6.

2: You could scratch away the solder mask and access the main device port USB signals by precisely soldering tiny wires. These are the possible locations.

usbsignals.jpg
(click for full size)

The simple answer is no.

But there are a couple not so simple options...

1: You could try to port WXMZ's USB2 library, which offers some USB device support on the USB host port of Teensy 3.6.

2: You could scratch away the solder mask and access the main device port USB signals by precisely soldering tiny wires. These are the possible locations.

View attachment 28121
(click for full size)

I see. There are some other threads from members here who said that they were able to solder to the D pads, VUSB and GND and enumerate the Teensy on the computer by connecting to the newly soldered port. Am I missing something?

I see. There are some other threads from members here who said that they were able to solder to the D pads, VUSB and GND and enumerate the Teensy on the computer by connecting to the newly soldered port. Am I missing something?

Not on T4.0 (yes on T3.x and T4.1)
on T4.0 the two pads are for USB2 and not USB1 that is used to download programs.

Not on T4.0 (yes on T3.x and T4.1)
on T4.0 the two pads are for USB2 and not USB1 that is used to download programs.

Could I use the soldered USB2 pads to send information (a position value via ROS) to a computer and only use the factory port to flash it once and then package it inside my enclosure?

Not sure if my line of thinking is on the right track.

Back