Raspberry Pi 4 and Teensy 4.1 not showing up as device.

atanguay

Hi-

I'm making a music making device called an M8 headless. Basically, the concept is the guts of a gadget called a Dirtywave M8. Really fun doodad...
https://github.com/Dirtywave/M8HeadlessFirmware

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that the Teensy 4.1 doesn't show up as a device when it's directly connected to the Rpi. When connected to an unpowered USB hub, everything is fine. I'm thinking its some kind of a power requirement issue that maybe the hub masks. But for portablility, I want to get rid of the hub. Any thoughts?

I'm definitely gibing the Pi 4 enough juice, thats for sure. I've eliminated that.

Sounds like fun!

As Paul mentioned, it might help to see what the system tells you through the log file: I often do it using the: dmesg
command... often I will limit the output like: dmesg | tail -40
To output the last 40 lines...

Also in cases like this posting additional data might help:

For example how is the USB of the Teensy4.1 configured? Serial? Midi? ...

If it is directly plugged in, does it show up at all, when you use the command: lsusb ?

Other things I would try.

Have you tried the different USB ports on the RPI to see if any difference? Like any difference between the USB2 ports and the USB3 ports (BLUE)...

Have you tried a different USB cable. Maybe the one is not making good contact in the RPI...

Does it make a difference if you plug it in after the RPI has started up instead of having it plugged in during the RPI power up?

Good luck

Back