Uart protection

D

DeletedUser

I am connecting a nextion screen to my teensy4.1 through UART. It works fine, but I was wondering if for the production environment (the screen will be on a steering wheel, while the teensy is in the dashboard on a custom build pcb, there is about 25 cm between this two devices and the baudrate is 115200) I should implement any protection feature, what I'm most concerned about is EMI as the system will be mounted on a running car. I was thinking about using a TVS diode with a couple of resistors, but I'm not sure if this will have an effect on the signal integrity.

Something like this:
Captura de pantalla 2022-04-19 125534.png
Where screenRX and screenTX are connected to the Teensy serial8 pins and P3 is a connector to the steering wheel display.

What Nextion are you using?
That diode has a minimum breakdown voltage of of 6.45 volts,
I think that sort of voltage going into a Teensy will fry it,

The nextion that I am using is NX3224T024,
maybe using something like a BAT54S, would be more appropiate?

Something like:
cable -> 10k resistor -> BAT54S -> uC input is okay?
or should I place a resistor between the BAT54S and the uC?

I am not an electronics engineer, but you also need to protect the BAT54S, so I would guess before the BAT54S.
10k seems rather high to me, have you been able to communicate with a 10k series resistor to the T4 and the Nextion.

Incidentally I am developing communications with a Nextion myself, but I don't use the Nextion library.
I prefer to use my own code. It is easier to decode when something goes wrong.

I think my code is a good framework for dealing with Nextion and soon I will be publishing it on Github.
I have decoded all the comms FROM the Nextion and have some code to handle changing baud rate between both
devices and recovering comms when something goes wrong.

"High" baud rate and "low" voltage of 3.3V is not a great combination. If you raise the voltage of your signal using a max3232 to nominal +-12V on the Teensy end, then lower it down to proper level with another MAX3232, it will be better protected against noise (EMI) and then add the TVS (probably bipolar) if you need the MAX3232 protected against transient spikes.

Consulting "Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems" by Ott is probably in order. Or maybe not as the chapter on ESD scared me. Put it in a metal box with no connections to the outside world. It's the only safe way. :)

Back