Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: is this even possible ?

is this even possible ?

Hi,
    I want to make a sound output device on a model train using a teensy
    When the train wheel makes one revolution the sound would be triggered "Chuff"

What I want to know is if I had a sound sample " Chuff "on an SD card that was say 900mS long
    and I triggered it once per second then I can see I would get a chuff and a 100mS pause that would keep repeating
    for as long as the triggers kept coming, so far so good

but what if the trigger comes every 1/2 second or even faster? the re trigger would happen before the sample had finished
    would it ignore the second trigger because the sample is still playing ? or would it halt the sample playback and restart it playing from the beginning

What I want is for the sound to retrigger to the beginning of the sample as soon as it gets a trigger so in fact in may be going Chu Chu or ch ch rather than the full Chuff
    What I dont want is that once triggered it must complete the full sample sound even though its being triggered sooner

So, is it possible can I restart the sample from the beginning whilst it was still playing ? and is it difficult to do ?

Hope someone can help

Don

What Teensy for generic ref, and what method is used to produce the sound? PJRC Audio library or other?

I have a teensy 3.6 and a teensy 4.1 with matching audio boards, I dont mind which I use any ideas would be appreciated

Don

The Teensy Audio library is in use?

Not overly practiced or current there - not sure if the Audio Workshop covers this, but recalling isPlaying().
    So testing for isPlaying()
    Code:
    bool AudioPlaySdWav::isPlaying(void)
    {
        // ...
    }
    If that returns true before the playing the next CHUFF it might work to stop() the prior one:
    Code:
    void AudioPlaySdWav::stop(void)
    {
        // ...
    }

Thanks for the help. Never programmed a teensy yet so have lots of reading and learning to do but I follow the
    principal of what your saying.
    on receiving trigger
    Check if sample is playing
    if it is stop it

start playing sample

Thanks for the help paul

Don

Paul made a good tutorial for the Audio library: pjrc.com/store/audio_tutorial_kit.html

It has a varied set of examples and a PDF to look through.

There are more than a few samples playing sound and responding to buttons like : {local install}\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\Tutorial\Part_1_05_Do_Mor e_While_Playing\Part_1_05_Do_More_While_Playing.in o