Possible to Change Parameters in Teensy 4.0 Thru an App?

Thundercat

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere; I didn't find anything in a search.

I have a little music fader with a Teensy 4.0 at its heart. I would like to be able to change some text in a running Teensy program through some kind of external app on a PC or a Mac, preferably both. I am not interested in using BlueTooth; this would be for a wired USB connection only. That means not using a smartphone.

At the moment I have some text hard-coded into the sketch, "scene 1", "scene 2", "scene 3", and I want to be able to change that text with an app.

I could make some kind of text editor inside the sketch, but that would be a huge amount of work, and I think would not be easy to use. I always hate trying to find movie titles using the remote controls on a TV.

I should mention the fader does NOT have a keyboard; it's got 4 fader sliders and one button I can use to accept user input for something like this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

So if you are wired to the MAC or PC via USB you could have a small python app with simple tkinter GUI and update any text via USB serial!

I love it! That's so helpful! Thank-you! That gives me a direction to look into :D

Would this work if the Teensy 4.0 is locked? I will be using the lockable Teensy 4.0.

Again, thanks!

Mike

I have not looked into locking a teensy.

If you are storing your strings in Ram then sure. If your are storing in the flash (littleFS) so the strings are maintained on reboot then I am not sure.

A locked Teensy works like any other - given a properly encrypted sketch it runs with no features prevented that are normally available.

>Upload does increase the minimum FLASH wipe area, but beyond that is unchanged for LittleFS or other use.
>on startup a portion of DMAMEM RAM may be disturbed differently before setup() - though not typically used or expected to be otherwise as the 1062 security uses it for a temp workspace locked or not. And not a factor after startup/setup()

Back