Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 3.2 shortage

Teensy 3.2 shortage

Hi, I read all the recent threads about shortages for the newer Teensy's. Sorry if i missed the T3.2 update. Is there any info on when Teensy 3.2 may be back in stock?

[edit] NVM - saw the update on https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy32.html will cross finders and switch to T4.0, and hope the lack of 5v tolerance will not be a problem.
    Last edited by greg; 05-03-2022 at 10:19 AM.

My guess is not anytime soon. The lead times for the MK20DX256VLH7 chip are extremely long right now. I have the chip on order since April 2021 that are yet to be filled.

I simply do not know when PJRC will be able to make more Teensy 3.2.

People at NXP who previously (before the war in Ukraine and Covid19 shutdowns in China) told me the chip shortage would start to improve by Q2 and get much better in Q4 are no longer giving any estimates. Difficult to know if that means the global semiconductor shortage is getting even worse, or maybe they have lawyers telling them not to say anything that could be interpreted as a promise, or maybe they're just tired of so many people asking. The plain and sad truth is we simply do not know when we'll get more chips so we can make Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6.

Is the T4.0 pin for pin compatible with the T3.2 ?

Are the CAN pins interchangable for example ?

CAN is on different pins, and Teensy 4.0 has 3 CAN bus ports compared to only 1 CAN on Teensy 3.2.

Many of the peripheral pins are in the same locations between 3.2 & 4.0, but CAN is not.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget999 View Post
    Is the T4.0 pin for pin compatible with the T3.2 ?

Are the CAN pins interchangable for example ?
    In terms of pin assignment and such, I have made the following spreadsheet that attempts to document the pin changes between the various ARM Teensies. I also wrote a higher level summary in the unofficial Teensy twiki in 2020:

How many T3.2s do you need? I have a bunch from an old project I could throw up on eBay or something.

I could do with 5.