Teensyduino install Ubuntu 20.04 question

clinker8

Hope this is posted in the right place. If not, please move to the right place.

Just received a T4.1 and am trying to install software. I have V 1.8.13 Arduino IDE installed. The OS seems to have "registered" this version. When I installed V1.8.19, today, the new version of the IDE was "installed" but Ubuntu doesn't know about it. Ubuntu only knows about the older version. Arduino 1.8.19 installed a non-functional launcher on my desktop. Double clicking on it just opens up the text file. At least it told me where the program went! It's kind of weird to see this behavior on installation, since the method Arduino is using hasn't be allowed on 20.04 for many years. (It was a change by Gnome.) Anyways, I can work around that.

So here's my question. Does the Teensyduino have the smarts to know which Arduino version to use? How do I force Teensyduino to use 1.8.19? Or does it install to all instances of the Arduino IDE.

Thanks. First post. As background, I am hoping to use the T4.1 as an electronic lead screw controller for my 10x22 lathe. A couple of years ago I made a doppler chronograph using an M4 and a $3 doppler radar front end. That ran continuous 1K FFTs at a 50 Hz rate, performed detection and drove an ILI9341 display. However, I haven't done motor control and quadrature decoding, so it ought to be fun. The T4.1 seems to be a reasonable match for the application.

I see there is a way to do some of the install via the command line. But I'd like to check the syntax.
Code:
chmod 755 TeensyduinoInstall.linux64
./TeensyduinoInstall.linux64 --dir=arduino-1.8.15
cd arduino-1.8.15/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4
make
I have Teensyduino in /Apps/teensyduino, and Arduino in /Apps/arduino-1.8.19
Have changed the permissions and updated udev. This is what I tried.
Code:
./TeensyduinoInstall.linux64 --dir=../arduino-1.8.19
cd arduino-1.8.19/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4
make
Make happened. Then:
Code:
Opening Teensy Loader...
/home/me/Apps/arduino-1.8.19/hardware/tools/teensy_reboot
No Teensy boards were found on any USB ports of your computer.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
make: [Makefile:163: main.hex] Error 1 (ignored)
There is a program window that popped up, saying Teensy. Umm, don't know what to do next. Have I basically installed teensyduino? Does this mean I can use the Arduino IDE and find and select Teensy4.1?

Yes it does. Woohoo. Wasn't that obvious, but muddled through. Now to the first example... Sorry for the noise.

Back