Adding WiFi and Bluetooth to a Teensy 4.1

As part of a project where you can receive images from an ESP32CAM via LoRa, so the can be received from a long distance, I have been looking at making a portable receiver for the images with my Teensy 4.1.

Once the transferred image is stored on SD Card or in memory on the Teensy, it would be useful to be able to have the portable device acting as an Access point and web server where anyone nearby could view the images.

An additional requirement would be to be able to pass GPS co-ordinates received from the remote ESP32CAM across to an Android tablet by Bluetooth for a location display on a mapping App.

I have seen the using the ESP8266 with a Teensy thread, but the ESP8266 is somewhat limiting and does not have Bluetooth.

I did try connecting the ESP32 program port to Serial8 on the Teensy and with a bit of software on the Teensy manipulating the ESP32 Enable (reset) and GPIO0 (boot) pins, I was able to program the ESP32 with the Teensy copying between Serial and Serial8. So the ESP32 would not need to be unplugged all the time for programming.

Would it therefore be practical to have an ESP32 permanently connected to the Teensy and have the ESP32 Slave accepting images, publishing them and send Bluetooth info over a serial port, has anyone tried anything similar ?

Back