3.3 V tolerant when using 1.2V reference on ADC?

frabulus

If I set the ADC to use the 1.2 V internal reference, will I damage the Teensy if I try to read say 3V. I understand that the reading will saturate and be incorrect for voltages above ~1.1, but will it cause damage?

The reason I ask is that I have an analog sensor (0 to 0.5V) that I would like to measure over several decades. At the lower end of the scale, I run out of resolution and have a noisy signal. I am thinking of putting the raw signal on A0 and amplifying by ~100x and measuring on A1. For 3.3V supply rails, the opamp output will saturate at ~3.3 V for a high signal. During measurement, I can choose either A0 or A1 to give the 'best' data. The only problem is that A1 will have saturated voltage much of the time. Greater than 1.1 V but less than 3.3V

For this specific question I am using a Teensy 3.5 with an external amplifier but I have also wondered about the programmable gain on a Teensy 3.2. Is it 'bad' to have a 16x gain and then feed in e.g. 0.5V. The data will be rubbish, but does it damage anything?

I have searched. There are comments on the net about keeping the signal below 1.1V, but it's not clear if there is damage above 1.1V or just unreliable data.

On Teensy 3.2 & 3.5, voltage up to 3.3V is safe even when using the 1.2V reference.

The analog pins on these boards which also have digital capability (almost all of them, but not A14 on Teensy 3.2 or A21 & A22 on Teensy 3.5) can also safely handle 5V, because Teensy 3.2 & 3.5 are 5V tolerant.

Back