Bass guitar -> USB sound project questions

Steve973

Hello. I just joined and this is my first post. I bought a Teensy 4.0 and the Audio Shield (Rev D) for an effects pedal box that I am building. Rather than have effects, itself, it is going to be a box that has multiple outputs and corresponding inputs (for effects loops - multiple pedals or chains of pedals) that can be switched independently. It consists of a splitter board and a mixer board. For my output, I have a step-down audio transformer, and I would like to add a USB audio output. I want to keep things super simple, so I don't need to add any digital effects, or do any extra processing. I can pull a line level signal, or a board level signal for the Teensy. I have been looking at the audio examples in the Arduino IDE, and I am wondering if it would be as simple as the documentation shows for the input: the sample circuitry using A2 as the input, and then using something like the following code:

Code:
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioInputAnalog         adc1;           //xy=617,793
AudioOutputUSB           usb1;           //xy=925,756
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=925,836
AudioConnection          patchCord1(adc1, 0, usb1, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord2(adc1, 0, i2s1, 0);
AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=302,184
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(12);

// Enable the audio shield and enable output
  sgtl5000_1.enable();
  sgtl5000_1.volume(0.5);
}

elapsedMillis volmsec=0;

void loop() {
  // every 50 ms, adjust the volume
  if (volmsec > 50) {
    float vol = analogRead(15);
    vol = vol / 1023.0;
    volmsec = 0;
  }
}

I may (or may not) have a volume pot at the mixer board output, so perhaps I don't need the 50ms level adjustment code? Please let me know if this will work, and what might make it more optimal for my use case. I appreciate any advice that anyone is kind enough to offer. Thank you in advance!

The 50ms update is only an example. If you are not running any DSP through Teensy, I guess the only reason you need a Teensy (and not any other microcontroller board) will be for the USB Audio functionality. It is important to plan well how you will be switching your multiple output signals since the sgtl5000 is 2 outputs only. You might want to think about relays or an analog switches for audio, or move on to a multichannel codec.

And the audio funcionality could better(+with better audio quality) be done with an ordinary usb-audio stick.

Back