Teensy 3.6 is corrupted after programming

Yizhak

The following scenario was repeated a few times, with a few computer and a few Teensy devices (so it is not a one-time issue)

I connected a (fully functional) Teensy to a windows 10 computer with the latest Arduino and Teensy software and uploaded a sketch. I was asked press the program mode button and did so.
Then, the Teensy just died - it doesn't appear in the Ports section of the Device Manager, in any computer I connect it to. Instead, I just see a "unrecognized USB device" message in Windows.
It appears just dead.
I tried to reset it with the 15 seconds press, but it didn't work

When I take another Teensy, connect it to my old Win7 computer and upload the sketch, everything is fine. I take the same Teensy back to the Win10 computer and upload the same sketch - the Teensy dies.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Sorry sort of hard to tell what is going on, without additional information.

So far we know you programmed it somehow with something that did not work.

In cases like, this it would really help to know details like:
Are you programming it using Arduino? If so which version? Which version of Teensyduino? Are these the same on both machines?
Are there some basic things that are changed on one machine? Example playing with USB types or the like?

Typical thing I would do is to install the latest Arduino 1.8.19, and version of Teensyduino. Either the new beta build or the current released version.

I would look at the end of the build and see if it is loading some libraries from your <sketches>/libraries folder which may not work?

If so maybe remove some of them. If you are using external libraries, are they the same between machines and/or do you need to update them?

If a teensy does not showup at all, then it might mean that whatever you loaded hard crashes very early on.

If I get a board that is having hard time booting. I will often times load up the Arduino IDE with the simple sketch Blink (or something similar) and then do verify on it. Then plug in the Teensy while holding down the program button, and then release the program button. At that time I may either do program again in IDE or simply press the program button again and usually it will try to download the simple sketch which should leave you in a good state.

When I take another Teensy, connect it to my old Win7 computer and upload the sketch, everything is fine. I take the same Teensy back to the Win10 computer and upload the same sketch - the Teensy dies.

Any chance you can test with a 3rd computer?

Sometimes things get messed up with Windows (all versions) in the Windows Registry and it retains bad USB enumeration info. Testing on another Windows 10 machine might help shine some light on whether the problem is just something went wrong on 1 machine.

Back