Using Teensy for big MIDI control surface

Your'e welcome.
Make sure to get a MCP23S17 which is the SPI version. The MCP23017 are I2C which is slower.

Couldn't see any in stock on RS UK, though they are available on back order in the DIP package for delivery 27/6/2022.
Minimum order size 15 pieces.

Referring to your first post, you asked about using a master Teensy communicating with a number of Teensy slaves. Can be done using usbHost port (T3.6 0r later) for master, plug in a usb Hub then plug Teensy slaves, configured as usb devices into the hub.

Found the schematic of 32 encs with 4067s, am happy to post here if helpful.
Here is a link to more or less the basis of my project.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/5948...-with-the-library/page2?highlight=encodertool

Rather dated, has evolved heaps. Started life as a portable Teensy-Midi devkit.

Still using the same board but with a mess of wires "breaking" a T3.6 into the (fully pinned)T3.2s socket. Metalwork is ready for V2. Soon to begin assembly of new board using T4.1.

Thinking of a Blog Project submission or something when V2 is up and running, will be some months. Busy preparing for rainy winter days ahead.

@luni, perhaps EncoderTool needs it's own thread, don't want to highjack this one, have an idea for a new setter.

Referring to your first post, you asked about using a master Teensy communicating with a number of Teensy slaves. Can be done using usbHost port (T3.6 0r later) for master, plug in a usb Hub then plug Teensy slaves, configured as usb devices into the hub.

Found the schematic of 32 encs with 4067s, am happy to post here if helpful.
Here is a link to more or less the basis of my project.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/5948...-with-the-library/page2?highlight=encodertool

Rather dated, has evolved heaps. Started life as a portable Teensy-Midi devkit.

Still using the same board but with a mess of wires "breaking" a T3.6 into the (fully pinned)T3.2s socket. Metalwork is ready for V2. Soon to begin assembly of new board using T4.1.

Thinking of a Blog Project submission or something when V2 is up and running, will be some months. Busy preparing for
rainy winter days ahead.

@luni, perhaps EncoderTool needs it's own thread, don't want to highjack this one, have an idea for a new setter.

Hey, MatrixRat thanks for posting reply and answering my initial question. Very interesting. Thanks.

Also, just like to say that I agree with you re luni starting new thread for the rotary encoder library he/she has created.
If luni wants to that is. I am sure it will be appreciated by those like myself who are searching for answers to our projects questions.
Thanks

Yes, 4067 is an analog switch but in the EncPlex use case is selecting Highs and Lows into a digital pin, so noise is not an issue. Websearch digital mutiplexer, will lead to 4067 and the like.

Most important is to get the first one working. Suggesting start with some mechanicals, mount up a bunch of encoders so you can physically yank them around to evaluate response.

Yes, 4067 is an analog switch but in the EncPlex use case is selecting Highs and Lows into a digital pin, so noise is not an issue. Websearch digital mutiplexer, will lead to 4067 and the like.

Most important is to get the first one working. Suggesting start with some mechanicals, mount up a bunch of encoders so you can physically yank them around to evaluate response.

Hey MatrixRat
thanks for your help. Sure. I am in the process of learning and trying things out, with a working version of Steinberg Pro 12
So will see how the performance pans out.

I do have a handful of multiplex's and shift registers, as well as a few rotary encoders.
I am also willing to buy more ditital expansion chips, such as the 23017 and the 23S17s
to test performance, starting with just one encoder, 8 encoders, and more.

Just to see what is the best first in terms of performance and second, in the case of reliability, and lastly, in terms of cost.
my ultimate ambition would be to create a control surface that gives access to a fair amount of features for a fair amount of channels.

However, I will start with just one channel, or one aspect of cubase (i.e. channel volumes) and then slowly build on my knowledlge and slowly add to the complexity of the device i am making. THanmks for help

See also here https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70264-EncoderTool?p=306250&viewfull=1#post306250 for a proposal to read out 190 encoders with one Teensy, without additional hardware :)
Cool. Thanks!

Looks like exactly the thing I am looking for.
Although. like I said before. I don't mind adding more expansion chips, or even more teensy's.

As presently its a private project, so the costs don't have to be minimalised
at least when it comes to adding a few more bit shifters / multiplex's / digital i/o exp.

As its primarily a personal project/s, and the embedded electronic format is fast becoming a hobby of mine. So I don't mind spending my project pocket money on it.
would be cool to get a good working result. and due to my background in making music and to some extent, my basic understanding of project / home studio ops.
Then who knows, my end design may be something that's actually useful. which would be awesome!

Thanks for your help again
I will have to have a read and see what I can get to work
:)

Cool. Thanks!

Looks like exactly the thing I am looking for.
Although. like I said before. I don't mind adding more expansion chips, or even more teensy's.

As presently its a private project, so the costs don't have to be minimalised
at least when it comes to adding a few more bit shifters / multiplex's / digital i/o exp.

As its primarily a personal project/s, and the embedded electronic format is fast becoming a hobby of mine. So I don't mind spending my project pocket money on it.
would be cool to get a good working result. and due to my background in making music and to some extent, my basic understanding of project / home studio ops.
Then who knows, my end design may be something that's actually useful. which would be awesome!

Thanks for your help again
I will have to have a read and see what I can get to work
:)

also, at the moment. As someone previously mentioned. it was fairly obvious that I am very new to embedded system design and using bit shifters / multiplexes and GPIO expansion chips
so I will start off using the easiest method to start with, at small small scale
and then progress by adding to the project. No offense, just a lot to take in to start with.
But really grateful for everyone's help.

Back