Teensy 4.1 out of stock

PhilB

I searched but didn't see this discussed on the forum. The T4.1 is out of stock, is there an expected date when there will be more? I am seeing a lot of orders for my T4.1 based grblHAL breakout board and the customers are asking me where they can get the T4.1. I know there are other suppliers but prefer to send them to PJRC.

Phil

Last edited:
There have been some posts by Paul in various threads, a production T_4.1 run was just completed that primarily shipped to distributors.

Check the list of distributors on this page : pjrc.com/store/

For example Sparkfun shows 250+ T_4.1's in stock: sparkfun.com/products/16771

Similar for T_4.0 - some few on hand (looking now) at PJRC the rest in that run will be outbound IIRC.

I looked at a number of distis (mouser, digi, adafruit) and they were out. Missed SF. How do you see the stock number of SF?

Wow from "250+" it has dropped. Clicking the circled item:
sfunt41count.png

Are the T4.1-Lockable available anywhere?

So far the lockable model is only available direct from PJRC.

We have a small number left here, even though the website status is showing out of stock. It's not many, under 50, maybe not even 40. Place an order right now for the number you want. Robin will reduce it to the number we can actually ship on Monday. The web ordering only reserves funds. Actual charge is completed at the time we ship your order, and of course only for what actually ships.

Next production batch is scheduled for July. We're trying to move it up to June.

Any way to convert a non-lockable to lockable?

Nope. Standard boards can not become lockable.

As Defragster has pointed out, I have some of the Teensy 4.1 in stock, though I am a little surprised he can see my website at all. ;)

Most of the ones I sell are the value-added 'Fully Loaded versions, i.e. modified with additional memory or for use with our Prototyping System for Teensy 4.1 baseboard.

I keep a small quantity of each of the Fully Loaded versions and ones with just the pins added in stock for quick shipment and a pool of the base Teensy 4.1 to build up more of the different variants as needed.

I don't show all of the base Teensy 4.1 inventory in the store to avoid having one large customer snap up all of our base stock. That becomes a problem once PJRC and the large distributors run out and people are forced to go to page 2 of the Google search to find more inventory.

To help with the current shortage, I will be occasionally releasing more of the base Teensy 4.1 until PJRC is able to restock, hopefully by July. To make them easier to find, here are the links to the 3 main variations:

Basic Teensy 4.1 with or without pins installed: https://protosupplies.com/product/teensy-4-1/
Teensy-4.1-with-Headers.jpg

Fully Loaded version with pins installed along with additional PSRAM / Flash memory and ethernet header:
https://protosupplies.com/product/teensy-4-1-fully-loaded/
Teensy-4.1-Fully-Loaded-Bottom.jpg

Fully Loaded for Prototyping System version with pins installed along with additional PSRAM / Flash memory, VUSB trace cut and diode added and bottom mounted ethernet female header and Host USB and VBat headers. These will work in most baseboard setups that bring the I/O out from the bottom of the Teensy like shown in the bottom pic. They will NOT work with solderless breadboards:
https://protosupplies.com/product/teensy-4-1-fully-loaded-for-prototyping-system/
Teensy-4.1-Fully-Loaded-For-Prototyping-System-Bottom-Side-Example.jpg
Prototyping-System-for-Teensy-4.1-Baseboard.jpg

We are setup to ship within the USA, but we do have international customers order from us using one of the many freight forwarding services which seem to work well.

--- Ken

The last portion of the recently completed batch of Teensy 4.1 is still en-route to Sparkfun and Adafruit. Both sites are allowing backorders. Placing a backorder with them is by far your best chance to get a Teensy 4.1 soon. If they don't ship within the next week or two, you can always just cancel the order.

The next Teensy 4.1 production is scheduled for July. We're trying to move it up to June, but the practical effect will likely be Teensy 4.1 back in stock earlier in July rather than near the end of the month.

We're also looking at whether we can get a small batch of Teensy 4.1 started before the end of this month (May). But distributors have already placed backorders with PJRC which will fully consume a small batch, so don't expect to see any in stock at the PJRC website in June. Your only chance to get a Teensy 4.1 before July is buying from a distributor.

Unfortunately there just aren't enough chips from NXP to fully meet demand. Right now all signs are looking like the supply chain situation is likely to improve over the summer, but possibly become even worse later in 2022.

My main advice for these difficult times is to keep an eye on whether Sparkfun and Adafruit are accepting backorders. Or go with any of the others, if they're allowing backorders. If they're accepting backorders, don't wait for their sites to say items are in stock. Place a backorder if you can. You can always just cancel if it doesn't ship. But if you wait for a web page to tell you it's in stock, you'll probably end up missing out.

As Defragster has pointed out, I have some of the Teensy 4.1 in stock, though I am a little surprised he can see my website at all. ;)
--- Ken

Nice you have some T_4.1's on hand Ken.

I changed my ISP ... DSL finally made it the last mile to my home. Two miles of old wire actually bonding two 20 Mb pairs for 40 Mbps and 11ms pings from passing fiber. Best service at lowest cost in 24 years here!

Back