Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Generating a 2 MHz clock signal from a Teensy 4.0

Generating a 2 MHz clock signal from a Teensy 4.0

I need a 2 MHz clock pulse, which I tried to do with PWM using:

analogWriteFrequency(14, 2000000);
    analogWrite(14, 128);

This doesn't work. It looks like the maximum frequency I'm able to generate this way is 100 kHz on a Teensy 4.0.

So my question is: what is the best way to generate a 2 MHz clock pulse on a Teensy 4.0?

See Table: PWM Resolution (Teensy LC, 3.0 - 3.6, 4.0, 4.1)

Try appropriate values like analogWriteResolution( 6 );
    > 6 bits or lower allows higher frequency

Thank you Defragster. Unfortunately my project still doesn't work and my cheap oscilloscope can't measure such high frequencies, so I can't check if the clock signal is correct or it is another issue. I think my next step will be to program another microcontroller I've laying around (a Raspberry Pi Pico) to work as a frequency counter to check the pulse.

Hi,
    If you can connect your PWM output to pin 9 on your Teensy 4.x, you can use the FreqCount library to check the frequency,
    All the best,
    Alan

I'm running it on a Teensy 4.0 right now. Here's what my scope sees on pin 14.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	28360

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    I'm running it on a Teensy 4.0 right now. Here's what my scope sees on pin 14.

Paul, posting complete code in use would be cool - though it is just expected to be the res(6) line before the p#1 two lines.

with a T_4.1: Today's new DVM does Freq Hz counting and gives a ballpark number of 1.999 for the 2 MHz - so it wasn't accurate enough to rush and report success, a loop() {toggle} gave expected results ... and I got distracted seeing if I could drop resolution and get higher Hz counts - only seemed to get write of 37M/2(18.75MHz) on pin at 2 bit res, and measured 0 on the full 37.5M pin. The 0 Hz pins show ~'half voltage' - book doesn't quote Max usable Hz.

I played with a T_4.1 since I got a new DVM today - a $24 unit that seems better than others on hand - except all black case. But has NonContact AC detection too. And lights the Probe connect ports for the selected function!

It is '6000 Counts' manual ranging which means I get better range and values it seems not having to use 2V or 20V of the old Sparkfun or other - so should be better for measuring low current.

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    Paul, posting complete code in use would be cool
    I just copied those 2 lines from msg #1 into an otherwise empty Arduino template program.

Code:
    void setup() {
      analogWriteFrequency(14, 2000000);
      analogWrite(14, 128);
    }

void loop() {
    }

Works for me too.

Here is complete example using FreqCount to measure frequency on pin 14. (For Teensy 4, gateinterval is in microseconds ! Who knew. web page documentation needs updating.) Jumper pin 9 to pin 14.
    Code:
    #include <FreqCount.h>

void setup() {
      Serial.begin(57600);
      while (!Serial);
      analogWriteFrequency(14, 2 * 1000000); // test jumper 9 to 14
      analogWrite(14, 128);

FreqCount.begin(1000000);  // 1 second gateinterval for T4
    }

void loop() {
      if (FreqCount.available()) {
        unsigned long count = FreqCount.read();
        Serial.println(count);
      }
    }
    Sketch reports 2000000 every second. No real need to mess with analogWriteResolution(), as the teensy core adjusts duty value based on frequency (hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy4/pwm.c)