Using multiple voltage rails on power tool battery

Zach S

I'm creating a couple of audio projects (megaphones) that require different voltages for the power amp and other components. I plan to use rechargeable power tool batteries to power them.

As described on this page - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83447 - the DeWalt batteries I plan to use have multiple terminals, for the purpose of load-balancing when charging and whatnot. Instead of using a regulator or a switching supply to change the nominal 20V output to 3.3 or 5V, it appears I could draw power from one of the extra terminals.

For the first project, I only intend to power a pre-amp that draws less than 1mA. I don't think this would be particularly problematic. Plus, it would only draw power while the power amp was and wouldn't suck power out of a single cell while the others stood by. It seems like this would be okay. What do you all think?

For the second project, I intend to use a Teensy 4.0. This draws a couple orders of magnitude more power and even if I incorporated a shutoff it would consume a more significant amount of power even when the power amp is silent. It seems like this might wreck the battery by taking too much from a single cell, but it would really simplify the design if I were able to simply pull clean low-voltage power from the battery.

Thoughts?

The battery taps are for charging, so they keep the cells balanced, as you mentioned.

Drawing off the taps in different amounts will unbalance them. Will the charger be ok with this?

Not sure this is good practice. Unless you have a proper voltage cutoff for each tap.

I would take the full battery voltage and make your rails from there. You gotta regulate them anyway.

If you use only the full voltage from the battery and buck converter(s) you'll be able to change to a different power
source flexibly, as well as not unbalancing the cells.

Back