recommendations for rotary encoders for MIDI Control Surface

ghostdzog1

Hello
I am fairly new to making things with teensy
My present primary focus is making MIDI control Surfaces that can be used to control various features of computer based Digital Audio Workstations (such as cubase etc).

I have a handful components that i have used to learn and experiment.
However, I am soon to begin projects where I make MIDI control Surfaces that I wish to use with computer DAW software,
I was hoping that some of you more experienced people could recommend some rotary encoders for the use with teensy,
ideally I would like to find encoders that perform well, while not costing the earth.

I have mentioned on another post that I plan to start with a small project and gradually progress to more ambitious designs,
with the largest project containing perhaps as many as 150 rotary encoders.

So price is a factor as well. So. help on this would be really appreciated. Thanks

Hello, the first decision is probably the feel and whether or not they have detents (clicks) as you rotate them. These will stay in position and not move as you adjust others, but don't feel smooth like non-detented. If you have button-click encoders, detents help prevent rotation when you push down on them. Non-detents can give more pulses as you rotate them, which you might want to adjust to get the right feel. They also allow you to implement acceleration better as you turn them faster.

Don't be tempted to buy cheap AliExpress encoders, the contacts will wear out quickly giving poor performance and you'll need to replace all of them. ALPS and Bourns are the names to go for.

Hello, the first decision is probably the feel and whether or not they have detents (clicks) as you rotate them. These will stay in position and not move as you adjust others, but don't feel smooth like non-detented. If you have button-click encoders, detents help prevent rotation when you push down on them. Non-detents can give more pulses as you rotate them, which you might want to adjust to get the right feel. They also allow you to implement acceleration better as you turn them faster.

Don't be tempted to buy cheap AliExpress encoders, the contacts will wear out quickly giving poor performance and you'll need to replace all of them. ALPS and Bourns are the names to go for.

Hi UHF
Thanks for your reply and advice. I understand a bit clearer now. I live in the UK, so will take a look at Farnell co uk and similar sites
to see if I can get some encoders that will be suitable for the job. Thanks

Back